Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying amp that needs work off ebay?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Do yourself a big favor and save your money for something that does work! After you pay for the item and have it shipped, you won't be very far away from buying a newer model that does work and then you have to figure out whether it is still fixable or not and the cost of that. I had one of these for a couple years and sold it for $200. Unless you are really good with fixing amp electronics, let this one go!

By the way: My BX-100 was 100 watts. Not 300!!!
    Sounds like you may be getting taken for your money.

2. I've bought non-functioning items before and fixed them. But I only bid what it might have been worth in parts. But I'm 100% at getting them up and running. One power amp and some toys.

I wouldn't bid on that item, seems like a big waste. Crate doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to bass enclosures. Plus it already doesn't work :)

I'd pass.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Buying a low wattage, lower end amp with the intention of puting more money into it doesn't make sense. I'd spend the $$$'s on something that was working.

4. That amp has two strikes against it already.

1. It's a Crate.
    2. It's a broken Crate.

5. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I feel bad for Fuel_4_Spd...the ONLY bidder on that Crate. Uh, that isn't you JoeRules00 is it?

6. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Hey Joe(hehe), I have a WORKING Crate BX-100 with casters I installed that I am selling(just got my new rig). If you are interested, e-mail or PM me. 100 watts, 15" speaker, a fairly loud amp for the money. As for that particular amp on Ebay, I can tell you that the 100 in BX-100 means that the combo has 100 watts. 300? Not quite.

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I have a used B-200XL Crate head that has been collecting dust in my basement for a couple years. It's paired with a Crate 2 x 15 and can push some noise. If you are interested in buying it email me...the head would be easy to ship but the 215 cab..ughh.

teramal@hotmail.com