Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying an Acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ms747, Jul 13, 2005.

1. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    hey guys

im looking at purchasing an acousitc bass with some of my tax return money! yay!. ive decided id like the flexibiity and fun of an acoustic/electric bass. im not wanting to spend a fortune ,yabe up to around 600-700 aussie.

any suggestions? ive seen the greg bennett designed ones, but dont know much about them. any help would be great
    cheers
    matt

2. I play a Washburn AB-20 acoustic. I love it, it plays great and looks awesome. Its a bit quiet unplugged though, even with phosphor bronze strings on it, so if you're looking to sit around without an amp you might want to check into something else.

I don't know how much they are in Australia, but I got mine for $200 on Ebay. There's one for sell here on TB: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189302 but I don't know if the seller would ship it down under.

3. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I'm very happy with the Michael Kelly Dragonfly I bought a few months back. It plays great, the Fishman PUP's sound great and it's a pleasure to look at. Win-Win-Win in my book and especially when you consider the nice price. ;)

Good luck!

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Ditto, very happy with my MK DragonFly too!

5. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I play a Dean Performer. Very nice.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
  7. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    I was surprised at the acoustic and electric tone of my Korean-made Fender. Sounds a lot better than the $200 (US$, used) would indicate. I've had a couple of Rogues (a 4- and a 5-string). Thin sound (acoustic and electric), and a rather poor preamp. However, pretty good for those who use their acoustic basses around a campfire or beat on them a little more than they should. I definitely don't worry about putting dings or scratches in them.

8. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Check out Music123.com's outlet store. They've got some good deals on a couple of Michael Kellys. They also have sound samples! Good luck.:)

9. bickele

bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Tacoma Thunderchief is a great instrument. I have a 5 string fretless with TI Jazz Flats, sounds amazing.
    I've been touring with it in concert halls, theatres and big outdoors festivals, always a success.
    Make sure you get the Fishman preamp with the notch filter for feedback control (E4- Prefix Plus EQ with Matrix pickup by Fishman). I also cover the sound hole for extra safety on stage.
    I bought mine one year ago used for 799 USD, hard shell case included, great value for money.

Here's a picture of a frettless 4 string and my 5 string with the hole covered (I have a much nicer hole cover now...)
    Check it out!

b.

Attached Files:

10. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    thanks dudes!
    i ended up buying a michael kelly 5 string dragon fly from music 123. cant wait to get it!
    thanks for the help