Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying an American P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 3rd Rock, Apr 2, 2002.

1. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    A couple weeks ago I had started another 5 string shootout for advice. Recently I made the decision that I'm going to stick with a four string.

I've already played five string, so it's not a fear factor of learning something new.

My main concern is keeping my hands alive. I work with computers all day, and the B string on top of that just takes its toll on me. Sounds crazy I know, but I noticed severe pains in the tops of my hands that just kill. The four just suits me better.

Now all I have to decide on is a color. : )
    I heard black is a pain to keep clean? I'm thinking of getting a 2 tone or 3 tone sunburst. I wish Fender would show the basses in the different colors on their site, and not just the color chart.

If anyone has a p-bass, please post pics. It would be most appreciated.

My local store seems to like stocking the same sky blue color for some reason. heh I'd like to see what some other colors look like.

Thanks!

2. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    If I may make a suggestion: The new Chrome Red is a freakin' sweet color, but if you're dead set on the sunburst go for it. Also, I think, the two-tone is very nice, but YMMV. Black, if you don't clean it and put it in its case every time you play, is gonna look skanky after a while. This happened to my P-Bass.

To reflect: Chrome red, 2-tone burst = cool
    Black = bad.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have a sunburst one...beautiful. I used to have a black one...got dirty looking quickly.

4. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    I'm thinking the sunburst would be cool, but would like to see 2 tone vs 3 tone burst.

I was also considering the natural finish even though it could be considered boring. heh

5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I am looking for a USA P right now with the same dilemna. Go to gbase.com and do a search there. If you look for 57 reissues with the two tone you will find a couple and then the three tone ones are pretty easy to find.

6. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    Thanks!