Buying an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Sep 7, 2000.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Well I've decided to get an amp. I've pretty much set my mind on a 2x10 combo, seeing that I am a college student living in a dorm and space is at a premium. I really like the SWR Super RedHead and Eden Metro, but both are kind of expensive. I've tried the Ashdown 300W 1x15 combo, and it sounded ok. I got a price quote for the Ashdown 2x10 and all three of these amps were around the same price.
    Now I've heard all these great things about Carvin, and after reading all the posts here for the last 6 months I'm convinced I would be very pleased with a Carvin RC210 combo. I know it comes down to my personal tastes, but if there is anyone who has the RC210 and has compared it to the SWR, Eden, or Ashdown, could you please tell me how you felt about each amp. Thanks for any help you people might give me.
  2. I've used the Eden Metro before at a freinds house who owns a studio. We used it with a Ibanez SR800 and when we turned it past 5 you could hear your chest rumble. Lemme tell ya that thing has tremendous tone!! If I had that much money I would get that thing.
  3. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive also heard good things about Carvin gear.Problem is ive heard the same about most everything else as well.Unless i can try something before i buy,i dont.Good luck!
  4. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    When you said you wanted a good 210 combo, the first thing that popped into my head was the Carvin Red Line 210. That's probably what I'd buy, but it's expensive. I'm just saying.........I've never heard any of these, though.
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    The Carvin Red Line 210 combo is the RC210 that I wrote about in my original post.

I have heard both the Eden and SWR, and rally like both of them. I just want to know how the Carvin compares to the Eden and SWR, so if anybody has actually played all three of these amps, please share your thoughts with me.
  6. toms

Aug 22, 2000
    You should give the new Fender Bassman 400 combo a try. Don't laugh, I said I would never buy a new Fender bass rig again, but these guys have produced an amp that lives up to the Bassman name. I took one to practice, and this thing will knock your socks off! It will give the SWR Red Top a good run for the money, and list around $ 1,400.00. You could pick it up for $ 1,000.00. Good luck

7. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    If I were to buy another combo the new Roland would be a strong runner. There was a good review in BP Magazine a while back.
  8. faewolf

Sep 15, 2000
    Carvin makes a great amp. The cool thing about Carvin is that there is a 10-day money back guarentee. That's ten days from the day you RECIEVE the product. With no tax, all you pay is the shipping, which is VERY reasonable.
  9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Isn't shipping for the RC210 $40? That's $80 both ways if I decide to send it back (which I doubt i will), which is a lot of money just to try out an amp. I understand there's no other way around this problem, but I was just wondering if anyone had any real objection to Carvin amps. I don't want to spend all that money for shipping just to find out something that somebody on talkbass could have told me.
  10. >I don't want to spend all that money for shipping just to find out something that somebody on talkbass could have told me.

Amp purchase decisions are very subjective. One man's low end is another's muddiness, crisp tone may be brittleness to someone else. One thing you'll get when asking for advice is whether a particular brand is reliable or not - and that is a good thing.

You have to try the amp before buying it. If you can't try a Carvin in your area, either accept the fact that you have a 50-50 chance of having to ship it back or pass it up.

If you haven't tried other gear, I would encourage you to do so before you decide anything about the Carvin.

You can also explore a 210 cabinet / head set-up, depending on your budget.

Two of the guitarists in my band own guitars made by Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Yamaha and Carvin. The guitars are very well built and the guitarists like them very much.

I had the opportunity to play around with a Carvin LB76 6- string bass for a few months and was very impressed with its craftsmanship, tone and playability.

Good luck - John