Buying an Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fake Trees, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    Hi I'm a new member and im looking for some advice on buying an amp. Right now i have a cheap like 15 watt practice amp. Nedless to say it doesnt serve its perpose anymore now that im in a band and in high school jazz band.
    So, with that said i am looking for an amp in the $500-800 range that is loud enough to be heard in an auditorium with a couple hundred people. I was thinking either the Ampeg 210 combo or the Gallien-Kreuger 400RB (I think) 210 or 115 combo. I liked both of these but if you guys have suggestions for better (in general) amps for the price please tell me. I want to get the most bang for my buck. BTW, i want to try the amp before i buy it and i dont live in a large city with many guitar stores.
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    hey and welcome to talkbass! :D

IMO you cant go wrong with the GK. it has everything you could need and more (im not sure if that model has it) but the kickback feature is kinda cool aswell. If you are willing to pay a bit extra, the Eden Nemesis is good, alot of bang for your bucks ;)

I think if you do a search and have "Cheap amps" as the entry, you will come across alot. not to say the other guys around here wont help you ;)
  3. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    Thanks alot, do you think i would be better off getting a combo like the Gk or a very cheap (very) used stack, which i was considering, unfortunatly i doubt i can find one?
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If i had the choice of a high quality combo, or a cheap and nasty head and cab, id go the combo ;)
  5. yeah check out those 400RB combos. they are real nice, the GK backline stuff is cheaper but i don't know how good it is. I'll tell you this I once bought a Hartke transporter 410 cab for $125 and had it under an Ampeg B3 or something like that and it was great for h/s jazz band. I was the third owner of that cab and it is now on it's sixth and it is still going strong despite being pounded by a six string through a high watt eden. It would sound real good under a 400RB too. Check them out-

6. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    If you're looking at GK stuff then wait about 3 weeks because they've just come out with 4th generation 400RB

not to mention the new SBX cabinets (400RB with a horn - or so I've heard)!!!

For more questions about these new amps see if you can trip (he endorses GK stuff and is caught around here to give GK advice).

You can also do a search for this. I'm not sure if it is still around but it might be? but look for a thread talking about this stuff

If you're looking for anything nemesis I just heard from my local guitar store that where Eden (the maker of Nemesis) has been sold to washburn (now named u.s. music corp) they won't be selling these until the fall again because of the relocation of where they plan to make these amps.
  7. Lol, you'll see a lot of Peavey TNTs. personally they suck, but I dont know about the newer ones.:spit:

Cheap amps, you're gonna have to go used. I know, I hate hearing it myself as you just dont know who used it last. Some people will say a single 15 wont cut and a single 2x10 won't cut, but most of your volume comes after 20 feet in front of it, strangely. I should try that with my amp and see if its true.
  8. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    Go get yourself a peavey TNT... they run about $650 new... but they are all over ebay...

Get a used one then order a external 2x10... ya, that would be pimpin...

By the way, they do not suck... The new ones have amazing tonal capabilities...

Out of mine, I can get anywhere from Mike Dirnt bright distortionish stuff to Dirk Lance and his amazing lows...

Or go look at that carvin 600w 2x10...
  9. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    This may seem like a really dumb question to some of you but can someone explain to me what makes your amp LOUD and the relationship between watts and the number and size of drivers (or woofer, are these the same thing?). I ask this because i have seen 1x15 combos that are 100 watts and ones that are 350, are the 350's 3 times as loud as the 100 watt ones, and if i hooked up a 1x15 extension cabinate to a 100 w amp would it be much louder?, Can you also explain what effect these things have on your sound? Any clarification would be great. thanks

By the way, has anyone tried the "red eye" combo by carvin this thing looks awsome (just in my range, kind of, just out of it really)
  10. from what i've heard,.. in order for you two double the loudness percieved by ear, you would have to multiply your current wattage by 10.

So for example, If you have a 10 watt amp, you would need 100 watts to make the the same amp sound twice as loud.

As for a solid but cheap amp... I'd say go with the peavey line. I just sold my firebass 700 watt amp head for $225. Mind you that is very low price for a good amount of power.
  11. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    Well it seems like no one is answering....
    Does anyone know when stores and internet sites will have the new ampeg combos in, i am ver intrested in the BA-115 HP and the BA-210 without effects.