1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying an CIJ Fender Jag. Am I being stupid?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuzyCreamcheese, Mar 13, 2008.

1. SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Jan 22, 2008
    Brussels
    Hi all,

I've got my first bass for about 2 years now and really want to buy a back up bass.
    My first bass is a Lefty American Deluxe Jazz Bass (Yes my first bass is an American Deluxe Jazz, I'm one lucky rich bastard).
    I've got my eye on a Jaguar bass for a while now but I've got second thoughts, first should I get a bass that is "inferiour" to my first bass?
    And secondly, after looking for a long while on the internet I finally found someone who will import me one (Lefty Jags are Japan only and you can get them in vintage white!!!) but the price is a bit uhm ... well 850 pound sterling + 20 for shipping and ****.
    Now I've got the money but I've seen them (RH models that is) go for like 400 pounds ...
    Should I go ahead and buy it already or am I just being stupid being a Jag for that price.

2. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
  3. If a Jag's what you want, then maybe wait for a used one to roll up somewhere, either on ebay or as you're in Europe basschat in the UK has a lot of for sale gear on the forum. I've seen a couple of Jags go through there.

I think, personally, they're great basses, not everyones cup of tea aesthetically, but I think they look great. Inferior to your dlx jazz? Well not inferior, just different, and that's a good thing, no point in having two identical basses IMO.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Well, I've owned both the AD Jazz and the Jaguar. I think the Jaguar would make a great backup for your AD Jazz, so if you are buying the Jaguar to use it as a backup I think it's a good move. If you are looking for a different type of sound, you'd be better off with an Aerodyne or something else that will give you a different tone. So, it depends on what you want to do with the Jaguar.

5. Money or not, have you really played this instrument??? I own a Deluxe myself (see avatar) although not a lefty. The Jag to me sounds and plays like a whole other beast. You may not be happy with what you purchase.

Just a thought.

6. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Jags are incredible instruments IMHO. I caught myself noodling on one for over an hour my last trip to GC. It'll make a great backup, though like others have suggested I'd say you should wait it out a little bit and see if one turns up closer to home.

7. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    The Jag is a killer bass! Especially in red. Buy one!

8. SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Jan 22, 2008
    Brussels
    Thanks for all the replies. First of all ... Yes I had the occasion of playing a Jag bass (RH restrung) played it for a couple of hours and liked it, I don't think the RH and LH sound any different.
    Secondly, I don't think you guys realise how hard it is to find a LH-ed Jag (Not in red btw... looks atrocious IMHO, Hmm maybe with a pearl pickguard and no matching headstock).
    And I can not just wait for it to appear on the market near me ... I recon the waiting time for a Fodera is even shorter then that.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds like you already know what to do. Whenever possible, I'll buy any bass that gives me GAS for more than a few weeks. Most of the time, I can talk me out of it, but if it's come to posting the question here, it's already too late. Just buy it.

10. jefkebass

jefkebass

Dec 29, 2007
    Leuven, Belgium
    Before I bought my Jag, I tested almost all the basses in the store and I liked the Jag more than the Deluxe MIA Jazz amongst others. It doesn't matter if it's supposedly "inferiour", if you like the bass, get it! :)
    I'm very happy with mine!

11. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    You're not being stupid, the Jags are sweet. Agree with above about waiting if you can for a used one to show up (one did here recently with Nordys).

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I loved my Jag, sold it because I wasn't playing, and am considering another. They're that great. I used one as a #2 to my Marcus Miller Jazz and they actually got equal playing time.

Inferior bass? Hardly. Just different.

13. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    You're right, I don't know how hard it is to find a LH Jag, I have never looked into it. However, there is no way the red Jag is atrocious! Of course, it's down to personal taste, but man the red Jag is a superb looking beast! Way better than the white one, and the matched head is the icing on the cake.

IMO, of course. ;)

Good luck bro. Hope you find what you want.

[​IMG]

So nice, it's ludicrous.

14. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I think a great deal of the Jaguar bass.
    I prefer it over the Geddy by a wide margin.
    Very wide range of tones.
    I don't think I'll be selling mine anytime soon.

15. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Which colour did you get, dad?

16. I finally love my Jag. Went through some stuff (hum, etc.), but the SBJ-1 pickups cured everything and it is now a killer bass. Specialty instrument? I think not, as the passive mode gives a lot of soulfulness in quieter settings. I was a little surprised at the sensitivity of the instrument, as it struck me as a power beast at first. This could be a sleeper classic for a long time. I am discovering nuances in this thing I didn't suspect at first. I say it is a keeper.

17. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    I love my Jag too. I have played a few that were of a little less quality than the one I picked up though (rough fretting, bad set ups and poor shielding). Don't know if I would buy one without the opportunity of playing it first. But like I said, I love mine.

18. CLOWNDEACAN

CLOWNDEACAN

Jan 13, 2007
    Ishibashi doesn't seem to want to sell Fender Japan basses overseas... :(

I've been wanting a nice, white, versatile, Jazz-ish bass (but not especially a Jazz) and this fits the bill. I'm going to have to go out and try one, but I'm not sure if i can get what i want... maybe I'll have to see when I visit Japan in the summer...

19. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Neat looks aside, the Jag will feel inferior to your DLX jazz. Despite the fancy looking block inlays and schmorgesborg of switches, I found that it still felt cheap compared to my DLX jazz.