1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buying an electric drum kit, need advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by aarono, Aug 27, 2012.

1. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Hey everyone,

I'm going to purchase an e-kit for practicing in my duplex. This will strictly be a practice kit so while bells and whistles are cool I won't need $4,000 kit so that I can use it live, etc. down the road.

My budget is a bit tight and I've narrowed it down to two kits:

Alesis DM10, $799, ZZsounds

vs

Yamaha DTX500, $520 (after discount code), Musicians Friend

-------

I've banged around on the DTX and I liked it especially for it's price. I'm not a drummer so I know I missed out on subtle things. I have not played the Alesis.

Both kits are usually rated 4 or 4.5/5.0 so that's why I'm narrowed down to these two. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha as like I said it's for practice, I'll save money, and if I enjoy it I can use savings toward a live kit.

Any advice between the two? Any other kits to consider?

2. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I played in a band where the drummer played a Yamaha electric kit.. Not sure of the model but it sounded good. It was weird to have the drums coming out the p.a. though :) (I know you're just practicing with it)

3. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I've eyballed the DTX, never played it. It looks the best to me in the mid-level. I've played the Alesis and don't recommend it. If you want to get a deal, go craigslist.

4. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Stay away from the Alesis. Get the Yamaha DTX or one of the lower end Rolands.

5. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    I've been playing with a couple electric kit players for the last few years, coming off acoustic kits. The biggest issue for both of them ended up being which type of trigger pads to use.
    They both complained about wrist pain with the rubber pads, and ended up with roland setups with mesh pads.

6. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Do the Roland DT-4Ks come with mesh padding? I think I've read the bass drum does but no mention for the rest of the kit. I considered this kit for a while and if I can find a deal maybe it will be the one I buy.

7. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    i am not a drummer at all, but I bought / traded for a $600 (new) set of ddrums. For our practice room, they work great. I think in the $600 price range (new) there is probably not a lot of difference.

Like everything else, you would get more bang for your buck buying used, but you will have to be much more patient.

8. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    I bought a Yamaha DTX520 about a year ago, I'm still very happy with it. Good quality and reliable.
    We jam at my place sometimes, and our drummer who was against electronic kits loves it.
    I bang on it regularly.
    More impressive, my 5 year old son has been using it and is becoming quite good. He figured out the basic operation himself, like changing the drum kits, using the metronome, and a few other things, so I can say it's fairly user friendly as well :)

9. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Bought the Yamaha DTX500k. It's the older model (Yamaha recently released the 2012 models) but I got a great deal on it. Sam Ash knocked $100 off and it's shipped to my door for $499.

Thanks for the help guys.