1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buying basses on the international market

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by themajorrager, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Howdy TBers,

:help:
    just after a little help please. i am in the market for a new bass at the moment but i am having a dilema as to where i should buy the bass from. i live in Australia and with the Australian dollar so strong at the moment (nearly US$00.78) i am considering buying outside of Australia - America and the UK in particular.
    To give an example of the price differences i am talking about here is an example. i recently purchased a Spector Legend 5AS for a relative bargain of AUS$1600 however i have seen the exact same bass listed on American websites for US$599 (or AUS$769)!!! :crying:
    now i understand that there are import costs associated with getting a bass to Australia but seriously a difference of AUS$831 is just too much.
    anyway i was wondering if anyone knows of any good American or UK sites that offer international shipping and if anyone knows of any additional taxes etc. i would have to pay.
    Thankyou in advance
    :help:

2. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Hi
    www.basscentral.com
    Ask for Perry.

Great prices, reasonable shipping.

I've done it recently with a rig and a new bass.
    10% GST and a clearance fee (about$50 )

If it's clearly labelled " Solid Body Bass Guitar" it is exempt from further duty.

ALSO.......any equipment manufactured in the US is free from further duties (free trade agreement)

So, in my experience over the last few weeks, it's worth putting in the legwork to bring stuff in from the states for the large savings.

Cheers
    Oz

3. :hyper:
    thanks man always good to find a way to screw the aussie government!!!! :D

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Definitely worth doing.
    I've had one come in from Japan this week via EMS ($US110 and 3 bus days) and two, maybe 3 from the US in the next week or so. Somehow snuck through without GST too.
    A full size bass from the US in a standard hardcase is about $US250 via UPS/Fedex and the fees are as Ozbass describes.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    To be honest you arn't really screwing the Government by doing this, you are screwing the local music stores. But, they've been screwing us for years so....fairs fair! :D

6. In the same boat as you guys getting interesting stuff down to NZ. GST is 12.5% here, no duty whatsoever on musical stuff though which is pretty good. Of course like you guys we can get a bit stuffed with 110v equipment.

Many shops in the USA will offer to down-value the instrument to help with tax at the other end, but the problem here is that insurance is then based on that down-value.

Best price i've paid for shipping was $50USD (DHL, next-day thru a friend working there). Just bought a Rickenbacker from the US that's setting me back $195USD for 5 bus day shipping, insurance and their bank's wire charge...not bad at all.

Worst recently was $100USD for a theremin via Fedex (ouch considering it's size - but was the store's requirement/preference).