1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buying Cabinet from Church - What to Offer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaywa, Aug 9, 2012.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    My church has a Hartke 210XL cabinet, about 3 yrs old but hardly ever used. Worship leader who bought it has left, new WL wants it gone and told me to make an offer. Nothing but new models right now on eBay so that hasn't helped. Would $150 be in the ballpark or could I go lower?

Thanks in advance.

2. $150 would be a pretty good snag if it's pretty much brand new. Without more details, $100 does seem a little bit on the low-ball side. However, if you find some diplomatic way to have him mention the first price (like maybe "They're $250 new, this one's been sitting around a while, what do YOU think?") and he says "$100," you're gold. If he says $200, then you can say "Well, I was kinda thinking $100, how about we meet in the middle?"

It also depends on your finances and how comfortable you are with this person.

5sg.

3. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    a song and a prayer....... wa..wa....waaaa

4. Lol.

I would offer $100, seems like a good deal for both parties.

5. I would offer $100, seems like a good deal for both parties.[/QUOTE]

agreed.

6. I got a 210XL from a friend for $100. I considered it a "friendly" price.

7. $75.00.

8. Dude! It's your church! If you really want that cab, pay 'em list price. Hopefully you are there for the glory of god and salvation of your soul, not to covet and get a steal on a silly bass cab. IMHO, of course.

9. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Read acts 5:1,2 and decidemfor yourself ;-)

10. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    Those cabs sell for $250. new, with a warranty.
    $150 would be a fair price for a used one. They're either going to get that from you or someone else. If the busybodies want to be so sanctimonious, let them pony up their own cash and overpay instead of telling you what to do with your own hard-earned (and in short supply, I'd bet, if you're a typical musician) money.

11. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    Don't go over 100$ as final price. Use your head, tell him it ain't worth much, like 50$. He will try to rise the price, but don't go over 100 .. and don't feel bad about it ;)

12. Don't feel bad about it!?!

The Last Hartke of Christ

hartkeofchrist.

13. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    Bwahahaha!

14. kbakerde

kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
  15. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    That is quite possibly the best thing I've seen all week.

16. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
  17. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Regardless of your personal beliefs, churches help folks, both believers and agnostics. If you are looking for a steal, I say move along and try to put the screws to someone else.

If GC is 129.00, go 150.00. Call it penance for coveting thy neighbor's bass. :D

18. Has anyone made sure the original WL doesn't want it back?

19. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Proof that Arch Angel Michael smote with Hartke! Talk about a ringing endorsement. Someone get Larry on the phone, quickly !

20. throughthefire

throughthefire

Oct 1, 2010
    Utah
    You could offer $150, and take it out of any tithe money you pay! ;)

You could offer $250, on the basis that you like the church and want to help them.

You could offer $129, on the basis that there is one secondhand on GC at the moment.

You could offer $65, on the basis that that is probably how much GC paid for the one they're selling at the moment.

A general rule in negotiation is that the person who mentions the first ballpark figure loses. To counteract that, get them to give you a figure first. Here's how; tell the WL that you'll pay the church their current book value for the cab. (i.e, the remaining value of the cab to the church). He'll have to check with the church accountant to find that figure out, but if you can get him to agree to that, you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. Most churches write-off music instruments over three years... and the cab is three years old... So when the WL finds out that the cab is worth $20 or so, and you offer $50, you both feel like you've won (which is the best end to any negotiation).

It all comes down to how much negotiation you want to do. And never negotiate with someone you hate, or someone you love, because you'll lose. Always stay neutral and dispassionate.