1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buying case for pedal train

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by krstko, Jan 2, 2012.

1. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    Hi!
    I don't want a pile of effects and cables in my room, so I will get a pedaltrain to keep things on place. I'm short on cash so I will just make one (post on this later). But I need a case to carry my pedal train around. Is there a company which makes cases for pedal trains and sells them without pedal trains?

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Yes, look on ebay. I found a case for my PT-pro for like $130 shipped. It's basically a very thin case with no padding, but is holding up pretty well. I got some mattress padding foam and lined the cover and tucked some in around my board to keep it secure.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Pedaltrain boards come with a case.

Your choice of the soft case or the hard case. The HC for the PT-Pro is huge and heavy.

4. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    ok, I'll just check ebay :)

5. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    My pedal train mini came with a nylon bag. Pretty decent. Not much padding and the shoulder strap was more than useless...but once removed the bag has usable handles and I think it's pretty ok.

6. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I'm assuming the OP may be in the same situation that I was, already owning the board with the soft case but now needing the hard case. I've actually found the hard case - at least the one I bought - to be a better option. It's easier to transport as I don't have to worry about it moving/bumping things and the case is pretty lightweight comparatively. The only thing I miss is the pouch on the soft case, I have to carry all my goodies in a separate bag now.

7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I think the OP is saying he is going to make his own pedalboard from scratch and wants to buy a case for it.

If this is the case, I would recommend going down to the local hardware store and buying a metal hard case from the. Swap the hinges out for ones that pull apart when opened, and use the lid as the base for the pedal board. Or leave the case as is, and build your pedaltrain-esque board to fit.

8. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I was thinking about that option too, I would just make few holes to attach the pedalboard into it. But I don't know if they make cases in this shape or size..

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's what I was thinking as well...just calling it a pedaltrain is making it confusing...and not confirming one way or the other is making it difficult to give any sort of help.

OP, are you using a Pedaltrain (the brand of pedal boards) or a home made pedal board and calling it a pedaltrain?

If you're using the real thing, which model is it?
    If not, what are the dimensions?

What board a

10. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I missed that bit in the OP, but this is a good suggestion if that is the case.

11. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    It is not a pedaltrain, it's home made. Sorry for this one but many people here where I live just say pedaltrain :)

Dimensions don't exist jet because I will buy a case first and than make a board. But my plans are 56x32cm.

12. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    I would just go to a 2nd hand store, find a old suitcase/briefcase that would be appropriate for the board,gut it out, line it foam, and there you have a case. I've had no issues with this method for my board, and its really cheap.

13. BAMonBASS

BAMonBASS

Apr 28, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    +1

14. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    My Brother uses a small suitcase for his pedal train and it works VERY well!
    Wheels and an extended handle, easy to carry, perfect size, its a nice setup

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Ah, well there's the issue. Over here a Pedaltrain is a specific brand of pedal boards.

16. That's "Pedaltrain", one word with a capital "P" – Not quite the aspirin of the pedalboard world just yet.

Mind, Aspirin (with a capital "A") is still a registered trademark in several countries...

17. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've never heard anyone referring to a pedal board as a pedaltrain or pedal train. I kinda doubt I'm the only one.

And, yes...but that doesn't have anything to do with effects. :)

18. Nor had I heard of anyone referring to pedalboards as "Pedaltrains" or "Pedal Trains", prior to this thread.

What aspirin, nee Aspirin, has to do with effects is that I was referencing the fact that "Pedaltrain", is a registered trademark. If the term "Pedaltrain", whilst referring to pedalboards, became as ubiquitous in its use as Aspirin, a registered trademark of Bayer that became synonymous with acetylsalicylic acid (ASA), then Pedaltrain could possibly also lose its trademark status. Apparently, the Treaty of Versailles had something to do with Bayer losing the trademark on aspirin.

When you offer someone who's sneezing a Kleenex, you're offering them a tissue, possibly not even a Kleenex brand tissue (note the capital "K"), yet Kleenex is widespread in its usage in N. America as meaning a tissue.

There's no such thing as "Rollerblading", though inline skating enthusiasts often use Rollerblades, a trademarked brand of inline skates.

Trademark holders (Fender, Gibson, Strymon, Boss, EHX) want to hold on to their (money-making) trademarks, so they tend to get miffed when people misuse their brand names. I'm not sure that Mr. J. Chandler of Pro Stage Gear would be too worried about a little thread like this, but if the term "Pedaltrain" caught on to mean pedalboards in general, maybe it would affect his business in some way?

Any-hoohah, I'm just waiting for the Coltalin Cold & Flu medicine to kick in and give me some respite from this rotten sniffelling & sneezing... ah to sleep, perchance to dream.

Trademark enforcement... Google it! ;)

19. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I don't really care to google it. Oh, I mean Google.

20. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Really? I would have thought the likes of Hoover, Xerox, Google*, Velcro, Sony Walkman and Biro would be quite pleased that their products are/were so successful that the brand has become the definitive name for all similar products. In some cases, the infinitive verb.

*Just reading up, apparently Google aren't happy about it, but they should be!