buying decision: avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jim primate, Jan 8, 2005.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

right now my setup is dying...several speakers (8) close to blowing due to a malfunctioning preamp. i don't feel like reconing as i was never that happy with the tone.

the bass: fender precision w/ SS strings and played w/ a brass pick.

the rig: p-bass-> traynor ts50b-> qsc rmx 1450-> 2 ampeg 4x10 hen's

desired tone: while playing clean and jerky i'm after a bright clangy tone, sometimes overly bright and...cutting while still punchy......when i add gain while playing more repetitiously(sp)...(smoothly but quickly)...i want it a little less bright and it sounds like a diesel engine idling

the decision: two b212's or two b410's. yes, it has to be two and i'd rather not try to mix and match. aesthetic as well as sonic, recording, and eq'ing issues. i want one solid punch at my back.

so any insight is helpful. negative comments/experiences, tonal descriptions, other cost effective reccommendations, etc.
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i know you don't want to do this, but i would get the 212 and 410

i have a 410 avatar and the lows are not there, but the punch is scary, really scary! great punch...

3. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i have the avatar 410neo. this thing will make you shish your pants with the punch it delivers. i'm planning to add a 115 for the extra rumble, but 212's generally give a warm tone. which form what i gather is not what your looking for.
    a pair of 410's would be insane. but still lack a little rumble i think.

anyhow, you can't go wrong with avatar. dave is the greatest guy to buy from.
    hey dave (i know your listening).
  4. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Two words, one site: Not to sound like a broken record or anything but, for what you're looking for, I think that Dr. Bass would be the perfect solution. And, his RX price points are very competitive with Avatar.
  5. jim primate

i'm all for punch. i'm not really after a whole lot of rumble, i only play a 4string tuned standard. i just wanna know that these cabs won't clip out on an open E chord or anything. and i wanna know that these cabs can handle my pre/power setup. even though eventually i'll probably be getting a sansamp.
  6. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    ive talked to you on AIM before and on active bass. anyways...

i bought the 2x10 from them back a few years ago, i really like it but it lacks the lows, maybe its just because its 2x10 and not 4x10. but i would say get the 2x12's. Because you could use the extra lows, and just turn up the horn.

I wish i would have gotten the 2x12 back when, but i also move my gear and dont like big heavey boxes. I really like the Dr Bass cabs because they are covered in a truck liner style covering. Not the fur carpet on the avatars. i know my avatar has a lot of cat hairs and other randoms stuff stuck to it, thankfully no spills yet.

rock on
  7. jim primate

basically, i'm looking for loud, punchy and clear. no boomy low mids. no murky bass. no hissy treble. just something to accurately reproduce the sound of my amp(traynor ts50b.) which is a really "nasal" amp. but it produces a clear, punchy tone. seriously any help is appreciated. i'm looking to be heard (and not so much felt), and the bass present but not overbearing.
  8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    ...of their 1x12's... one older "cube" (C112) with the round ports in the back, and one of the newer SB112's. IMHO, great cabs. I don't think they can replace my Eden 2x10's, but I wouldn't hesitate to happily gig with them. Very bright and clear tone, with rich defined lows. I have an '83 USA P with SS strings on it, and while I don't play with a pick (except when covering All Star), it sounds great thru my Avatars.
  9. fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    From your description it sounds like you need two 15's. I have an Avatar 4x10 box, and IMHO all 4x10 cabs have a pronounced low mid hump thing going on and the very lowend sounds loose and murky to me. For good solid punch with direction and authority I dont think 15's can be beat.
  10. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I think the 212's would give you more versatility. You can get all of the punch you need with them with the right EQ settings. Who knows, one year or several years from now you might want to change your tone to a smooth, low rumble. You'd have it with the 212's.

I agree with NJL: a 212 + 410 would be perfect for what you want.

FWIW: I'm using the B212 and an SB115. Can be a bit "woofy" at times. It's all about the EQ.
  11. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Ya......... b212 and b410 would beat some booty down. Call Dave ate avatar, he'll help you with the selection.

That's like a slogan now........ "Call Dave at Avatar"!!!!
  12. I think the 212 cabs would be the versitile solution. You can make them sound pretty much any way you want.

BTW I would use a Jazz instead of a P. :spit:
  13. I am with Muzicman
    If you have to have 2 identical
    Go with the 2 x 12