1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying Digital Music Online..?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZenG, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Specifically Canada.

I looked at "itunes' and I can buy from there. Looking through their "blues' selections , didn't seem to be a hell of a lot really. (Or else I haven't figured out how to look properly)

I can't buy from Amazon.com..they won't sell to us in Canuckleston.

What's a good site to buy MP3-type downloads from in Canada? Or anywhere that sells to us for that matter...

( strange.....I listen to demo track samples of songs on itunes....and many sound like they're "mono" versions..even though they're "remastered'....what gives?)

2. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I refuse to buy MP3's and e-books. To me, those things are way over priced considering that the physical cd/book costs the same (or sometimes less).

I stick to buying the physical media and if there isn't a version of it, then I guess I don't want it enough.

3. I have lots of cd's. But often I only want one song from a particular album. So I'd be willing to pay the $1.29 or whatever for one song instead of going out and buying the whole cd.

That is...if I could find it. A lot of single songs I like are nowhere to be found digitally online, except as videos on YouTube, which are often riddled with ads.

So l looked up the plethora of "YouTube to Mp3" converters on Google.

Apparently it isn't illegal. But ethically there'd be an issue.

I don't like the prying complexity of these sites (The ones I've tried anyway. So far I haven't ended up using one).

There could be advantages to buying a cd though....as I said earlier, a lot of itunes tracks don't sound very "stereo" to me, compared to a cd.

There's quite a few blues songs I'd like to get. I've seen the videos on YouTube and now I want to get the single songs if possible without any ads or any other crap mixed in the audio.

As said I'm perfectly willing to go "legit" and buy download songs.....but itunes seems to be a bit of a disappointment so far in selection..

What I've been doing all along is buying cd's, load them into Windows on my pc, then convert the file so it downloads and plays on my Sony MP3.
    That way I get MP3 plus can use the cd as well.
    But just being able to download a particular song from online would save me a lot of time and hassle.

Last time I checked ( quite awhile ago)Amazon.com didn't sell digital music to Canucks.

Maybe that's changed , I don't know. Will look again.

Anyway:- I go to 'itunes music store' online.
    I look up 'genre'.
    They don't even list blues as a genre. Although ' r&b' is in there.
    So I type 'blues' in the search box.

A few generic shopworn albums appear plus a few "new' blues works.

That's it? From the site that boasts 'millions' of songs?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  4. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Do you have any friends in the US? Maybe you could use their address as a "ship to" in order to get around the "does not ship outside of USA because world wide means lower 48 states".

5. I'd really like to take the short way home if I could..

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i didn't know that! i thought amazon was "everywhere all the time" --- i wonder why you can't get amazon downloads in canada? pretty weird to me. :bored:

7. Just discovered CapriceMp3.

They have some decent blues offerings.

Will try them and see what happens.

8. Well... there's Amazon.ca ...but it looks like they don't do MP3 downloads on there from what I could see.....although they have lots of cd's for sale.

9. have you tried play.google.com ?

10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Zen, tell me they have used music stores, in Canada... not sure if Half Priced Books is an option, but both I have visited (central Ohio) have tons of used CDs, LPs, all genres...

11. I don't have any problem finding cd's. New, used or otherwise.

It's online digital download music that seems to be a bit of an issue.

As said, I just found MP3Caprice. I think they sell to Canucks. But the other issue on these download sites is 'selection' content. Not much to choose from really.

MP3Caprice seems to have better than others I've looked at.

12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Well, good luck with your search, and Happy New Year...

ZenG likes this.
  13. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

mp3 converters are ambiguously legal, but morally dispicable. Youtube already has the highest number of subscribers to any streaming service, and has cut deals with record labels so that Google (YT's parent company) barely pays anything for all the music there.