Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying Equipment online

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, May 8, 2001.

1. Has anyone here ever bought any equipment online? Noone respond to this who has never bought anything online. Anyone ever bought anything off E-bay? Online stores? I have been considering buying a new amp online and I am trying to decide whether or not to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I got my Casady (Epiphone Jack Casady) at Musician's Friend.
    Everything was fine when I got it, despite no HSC.
    The tricky part was when I had to pick it up at the
    FedEx depot ~ right in the middle of a 'Texas monsoon'.
    Rainin' like crazy and I couldn't fit it in the cab of my truck :p .

3. Yes, I've bought dozens of things online--basses and amps through Ebay (including an MTD 535 and an Elrick 6), basses and amps and cabs though online bass speciaty stores like Bass Northwest and shops like Daddy's Junky Music, and lots of stuff from independent sellers with online classifieds. Pretty much every bass or amp I've gotten in the last 4-5 years was bought via the 'net rather than in person from a local store, and I've bought a lot of stuff! When you live in a small town that's hours from anywhere, it's the only way to get the high-end gear.

The best advice I can give is:

1) Know what you're getting, both in terms of knowing what you want before buying, and being sure (especially if it's used) that you know what's actually being sold and what kind of shape it's in.

2) When dealing with stores, be sure they have reasonable return policies (no 15% "restocking fee"), that they have an actual address and phone number available and not just a web site and email (it's nice if you can go with someone well-known. like BassNW), that they're actually dealers of the (new) brand they're selling, what arrangements are for warranty repairs, etc.

3) When dealing with individuals, be sure you have complete contact information, and have a good idea who you're dealing with and what kind of person they are. Get a phone number, and call them if you have any doubts or questions. 99% of the people are cool and want to do the right thing and have the buyer satisfied, but there's always that 1%...

I've had lots of good luck personally both buying and selling online, though. Any other questions?

Mike

4. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I've done like Mike has. I bought my eden amp from a classified. My midi routing system, Roland PK-5, Roland S-760 (this one came from Australia, I live in Texas) off of eBay. My eden cab was a classified but the guy lived close enough so I could try it out I don't consider that an online sale. Just be careful of the forementioned 1% out there, all mine have gone well but I always get as much info as possible and correspond as much as I can with the seller to make sure they're not going to try and screw me over.

I did have a friend who won a "G&L bass" on eBay. I never saw it by my brother said it looked like a picnic table with a G&L neck on it. It didn't produce sound through an amp, and played like a picnic table. This is the only case I know of someone getting the shaft.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have bought and sold quite a few things on Ebay. I have had very good luck with all my dealings on there. So far, so good, I guess. I have also heard of people getting burned, too, so a person has to be careful.

Ryan

6. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i've bought a couple basses from musician's friend. i've been buying stuff online for years, and i've never had a problem. mike zimmerman wrote a good response - i agree with him.

7. I have bought and sold many things on ebay- basses to films to cds and more. I ordered my Carvin online, and have bought from most every larger Cat. Dealer (AMS. Musician's Friend, Veneman's). The only real trouble I have ever had has been with UPS or whoever is delivering it. I actually had a $1500 order left at my front door while I was not home! Thank gawd the local hoods were busy stealing something else....

My main advice would be to ask every question you can think of, no matter how stupid it may seem. I always start a potential ebay transaction by asking "does it do/work like it is supposed to?", and then more after that. A legit seller will not get offended.

8. I bought my G&L 5 string from bassnw, and I'm very happy with both the bass, and the level of service provided by those fine folks. A good friend of mine has bought and sold over 20 guitars on ebay, and swears by it. Like the previous posts advise, be as sure as possible before you put the check in the mail. Good luck!