Buying first amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kluggy, May 1, 2005.

1. Kluggy

Apr 28, 2005
    Hi, I just started playing bass. I've been using an awful used Squier BP-15 combo amp with the accompanying Squier P bass. However, I've begun to get serious about playing so I decided it was time to put my own money into it and get some real equipment.

I just bought an Ibanez GSR200, loved how it felt and how it sounded in the store. Unfortunately on my rapidly falling apart used amp, it sounds atrocious.

So I need to get a new amp, but I'm completely lost as to what to look for in amps, how much I should expect to pay, and what impact my bass type has on what I should be looking for. I could really use some advise.

I'm willing to put down a decent amount of cash for a solid amp, but I have to keep in mind that I'm still a beginner and probably won't be doing any gigs in the near future. However, if I'm going to spend a lot, I figure I should probably try to get something that will last me for a long time or something I can upgrade?
    Any help or advise would be appreciate. I'm basically just trying to start to orientate myself. Thanks guys.
  2. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    where are you located? if you are in a major city check out local listings. is a good one. That way you can save on shipping a heavy cab/head or combo. money saved is money earned and you can put it to more equipment.

I really like behringer for the money. they sound great, hold up and dont cost much.

BTW - check your pms, im selling some equipment.
  3. If you're looking for something reliable to learn on, isn't going to break the bank but will be able to hold up as a solid piece of equipment I'd look at Peavey. They're known to be real workhorses. I don't know if you're looking for a combo or a head/cab situation, but you can get real decent equipment for a good price with Peavey.
  4. I would check out Ashdown Electric Blue series. These are great amps and you could get them from a lot of the super stores via mail order. Sometimes, they waive shipping. The older ones were British made. But ashdowns are good for the coin. I once owned the EB 150 112. It was light and gigable.

I would also check out the new Eden "silver" series combos. These will sound a little better than the ashdown.

You should get something that you can carry in one hand and that sounds good. You may even want to carry it around for lessons, jaming with friends and someday, gigs.

I really like the Eden nemises combos but these may be a little overkill for you right now.