1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buying first pedal! What kind should i get?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DaveManDave, Apr 3, 2006.

1. After my B-Day i got a lot of cash and i feel i should spend. I wanna get a pedal but i dont know what kind, as in wah, distortion.etc. Could you guys reccomend (<sp?) some? Could you also say brand?although im pretty sure most of you will sat boss...

2. I'll say Behringer Bass Chorus. It's only $19 and it will get your feet wet -- it's also versatile enough to be used for different kinds of music.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you don't know what pedal to get you don't need one. Wait until you find yourself needing a certain sound.

When you deceide you need something, try as many as you can. I have a SansAmp BDDI, a Boss TU-2 tuner and CEB-3 chorus and an MXR Phase 90 Phaser. I would stay away from the Behringer. Boss is good, so are a variety of others. Do a search and you will find all kinds of info.

Just wait until you find you NEED something. Until then, save your money. Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to spend it. Trust me.

4. I personally jumped the gun a bit and got an envelope filter first, I would definately suggest for a first pedal an overdrive of sorts, I would not personally suggest the boss ODB-3, but thats me, lots of people would disagree. Try whats avaliable in your price range and decide from there, always try before you buy.

Good luck

5. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Distortion/overdrive would be the most useful. Sansamp BDDI and Fulltone Bass Drive get rave reviews here on TB. Soon we should start to see the MXR Blowtorch.

6. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    I think it depends on what music you like to play. I would get a bassballs if your into funky groovey. Chorus or flanger if your into all sorts. Distortion if your into heavy nusic.

7. I went to my local "george's music" center to look for a bass i was gonna snag off ebay, and accidently found a "Modeling Processor" that I absolutely fell in love with. It is made by digitech, called the BP50 - Retails for about 80 bucks with tax. Worth every penny.

It has 80 preset effects you can scroll through with two of their pedals.

It has 30 drum tempos you can jam along with (excruciatingly fun)... you can adjust the speed of the tempos to boringly slow or insane fast... tons of variety.

Also has a built in tuner - just press both of the pedals and play an open string.

I have never had any experience with other pedals, but this thing is great. It will hold me over until i have other people to play with.

Thumbs up.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would say go to a store that has lots of pedals to try out, and have a blast trying them all out! If that's not an option, just buy a variety of pedals used, and sell the ones you don't like. Heck, that's one of my favorite parts of the whole effects thing, is buying, trying, and selling.

9. Big Muff Pi - need i say more?

10. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Go try some pedals out and see if you hear something you really want. No one "needs" effects and you may be one of the ones who is happy without any.

Bottom line is not to buy what someone tells you to get but rather buy what you like when you play through it.

11. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I've just purchased my first pedal. I went with an OD/Distortion pedal in the Homebrew Hematoma.

I absolutely love it!!! Although, I am not experienced with any pedals.... so:meh:
    I also just bought the Boss Tuner pedal. Excellent tuner.

12. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    +1 I agree. Wait until you have a need to get one.
    Maybe a good multi effect unit would serve you well for awhile.
    That way you can figure out what types of effects suit your style. Also most of them have built in tuners.

13. I think it is important to experiment... if you dont know what they sound like at all, then you should at least go to a store and try it out. When you are at home you can find more cool stuff about it than you did at the store.

If you buy a pedal and funk around with it at home for hours on end you may even find yourself developing your style.

14. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Buy a prunes and custard, impress your friends! :)

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah - if it's a matter that he usually doesn't have any money to spend, and now he does for-once, then maybe he needs a better amp or a setup on his bass, or a new pickup, or his pots are all crackly - or even a fifty-dollar monster cable for his bass, or...

What are you running now, Dave?

Joe

16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Whoah!! Good point.

If he doesn't have a tuner, then the answer may well-be: tuner.

Joe

17. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Excellent choice, you started with a great one! I love mine. :)

I would suggest some sort of distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal as a first pedal, although normally I certainly subscribe to the "if you have to ask, you don't need one" theory behind pedal usage/purchasage.

18. my first pedal was a Boss DS-1. I scrapped it for a RAT a couple years ago and haven't looked back since.

19. ive been thinkin of getting a used Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion they have at my local music store. Could anyone here say if its a good one?

20. Hmm...I used to have the Digitech BP200. It was the first effect pedal I got. It got me into what I wanted in an effects pedal. So when the time came I got a stompbox that can do the sound i was looking for in the Digitech but couldnt find, eventually selling it after getting two or three stompboxes onboard. A multi-effects processor can definitely get you started though!