1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buying from a music store--advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xvertirx, Apr 29, 2006.

1. well I never thought I'd like a 5 string bass, but I just played a stingray 5 at guitar center and I actually loved it. I'm thinking of buying it, but I have a few questions.

If I buy the bass, should I ask for them to get one from the back?

If I buy the bass that's hanging on the wall, isn't it considered a demo bass and shouldn't it be cheaper to buy?

What do you guys do when you buy a bass at a store? Do you ask for one that's in the back or just buy the one off the wall. If you buy it off the wall do you ask for a cheaper price because it's a demo bass?

One of the main reasons I'm thinking of going with guitar center is that I'll most likely qualify for the 15 months financing deal. If I had the money I'd probably buy a used one for cheaper.

2. If you get one from the back, make sure you try it out first as no two instruments are exactly alike (although Musicman is consistently high quality). If they only have the demo model left you could ask for a reduction in price, especially if there is some wear on the bass. I've never bought from a Guitar Center though, so I don't know what their policy is.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I would definitely try more than one if possible. If not, providing you really like the floor model, look for scratches/dings or anything that will get you a few bucks off.
    Regardless, I would try to get him down a bit in price although it's tougher to do when you are financing.

4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I recently bought a bass amp from a GC, and the floor model was the only one they had left. Im pretty sure you shouldn't have to ask for one from the backroom.. theyd probably give it to you if they have it (but ask anyways). Anyways, my bass amp was in great condition but I still complained and got a 50 dollar price reduction (off 450.. so not big deal, really). what I didnt realize was that after you buy one of those, and they take money off the price, they say youre not allowed to return it unless its defective. I didn't know that, but thank God when I went to return the bass amp (It turned out it wasnt what I was looking for, really. It had an excellent sound but was just too bulky. Ampeg BA115, FYI) the salesman was nice enough to look the other way. He was visibly dissapointed, but I wouldnt gamble with it. If theres any chance you are going to want to bring it back, well.. make sure that doesnt happen. Don't buy it (and ask for the discount because its a floor model) unless you plan to keep it.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Most stores don't keep "backstock." Take the one from the floor, but negotiate new strings into the sale. I bought a bass today, and got a gig bag and guitar stand for free just by asking for it.,

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sometimes you might get lucky. Two questions you need to ask: "Do you have more in the back?" and, "What's the best price you can give me?" That should get you through well.

7. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    the following happened to a friend of mine:
    he wanted to learn bass, so he takes me to go help him the best one (price and quality) so i say go with a jazz. i give him the Guitar Center floor model to try out and it's got great action, good strings, and no fret buzz. so he decides to get a jazz and the salesman gets one from the back. i ask the salesguy "can you guys set it up for him?" and he says "it's set up to fender specs". so when i go to my friend's house to get him started, i look at the bass and the neck is almost bowed to where it'd break. so then after ranting a while, i set it up for him, but it still has some fret buzz and high action for a beginner, since i'm no professional at set ups :rolleyes:.

/rant
    moral of the story: always go with the floor model if it's good. you already know how it plays and such, plus you get a discount of at least $25 or bonus stuff. oh and it you scratch up the pickguard (if it has one) while they're not looking, they'll give you a bigger discount since it's damaged. then you just replace the guard (pretty cheap). if you happen to get a boxed one, tell them to set it up as if it'd be theirs.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Anything that is on the floor is used IMO.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Have a pretty good idea of what you're shopping for before you hit the stores. Don't allow any salesguy to talk you into something off-target - unless there's very good reason for it...

Never assume any salesguy knows what he's talking about. About assume he's clueless, unless proven otherwise...

Scrutinize the instrument for any obvious structural defects, i.e. neck that's all out of whack, bad fretwork, electronics that either don't work at all or are noisy and/or yield bad tone, etc. If it's not in very good shape, DON'T BUY IT!

Don't expect the set-up on the instrument to be decent. Chances are, it won't be...

If you happen to own a small combo amp that you play frequently, bring it to the store with you and play the basses through that, in addition to the store amp they provide to you. It could give you a pretty good controlled basis for comparison - so there are fewer surprises when you buy one and bring it home...

Shop around. Really shop around...

Don't be in a hurry to buy. Invest the time and energy necessary to find what you really want - at the price you really want. In the long run, you'll be glad you did...

MM

10. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Nice thinking. I'm glad my mama raised me up better.

11. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Most guitar stores will be your mate for three minutes and throw in some free stuff in my experience. Aim for 10% of the purchase price in accessories, or get them to upgrade form a soft to hard case, if thats the situation.

12. jrod42

jrod42

Apr 29, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If you happen to find that perfect bass on the wall, go with that one. Obviously making sure there aren't any scratches or dings on it. Just make sure you play it first and have some knowledge of how that bass is supposed to feel, or sound. Just take the time to try out all the switches, and play the neck just how you would be playing it live. If you find a perfect bass that you just can't give up, except for that little dent in the back of course than you should definately ask for a little better price. That leads to another big part, the store. I highly suggest not going to guitar center if it can be helped at all. I know from personal experience of horrible instrument care, and non existant customer service especially after the sale. I have found that independent music stores are generally better to do business with. Hope I could help.

13. guitar center is great, they always give me nice deals on pedals, they will always negotiate with you, but dont be a jerk and be all "GIMME A DISCOUNT" lol

they wont take off a lot just cuz ur a nice guy, they have a certain percent that they are allowed to go down and a curtain amount of good they can give away depending on how much your dropping. they will always try to work with you thoug because they want reuturning customers, and the nicer you are, the nicer they are.... unlike sam ash.. those bastards =_=

14. Also, make sure you get the warranty. I am one that likes to get a good deal, I can also walk away if the deal is not good. If the bass costs 1,200.00 and you were to buy the floor model, I'd say I wont pay anymore than 1,000.00 for the bass. Its not new, and have them throw in a gigbag (to cover the tax). Since your looking to finance the bass, the salesman may say he cant do it. Get tough and tell him point blank, do you want to make the sale right now? Chances are he will. If not, leave your phone number, say to him, if you change your mind TODAY call me, ill take it off your hands Today. say thank you and walk away. 9 out of 10 he will call you cause he knows your serious and you will own that bass

Good luck

15. hey guys. thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to sell my jackson professional bass and then try to buy a stingray 5 with cash instead of financing. Anyone interested in my bass :)

16. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I don't know what it's like in the U.S. but around here if you offer cash, you can almost always negotiate down around $50.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Glad to know that there are still some immoral people out there :rolleyes:

Kinda pathetic actually. You can haggle honestly and get some good prices. Ask what the best they can do is, point out dings that are already there, mention what work will need to be done to make it perfect. Frankly, you can usually get a decent percentage off by being honest and polite, not by ripping them off.

While you're at it, why don't you just throw a tube amp on the floor and ask for a discount because it doesn't work?

18. +1

19. rallykid

rallykid

Apr 28, 2006
    Davison, MI
    Keep shopping and checking prices. When one guy beats the first guys price, move on to the 3rd, someone will beat his price and then someone will beat that. it works the same as buying cars. I bought a V6 6 Speed Honda Accord 2 years ago for $7,000 below sticker and $300 below invoice because I took the time to comparison shop and work the deal. I am looking for a new Thunderbird IV right now and doing the same thing. I know the store I want to buy from, but I also know I am not going to buy at his first offer. So far he is $50 below the last guy and thrown in a hard shell case. Supply and demand. There are plenty of people out there supplying what you want, now go find the one that will give you the best price WITH the best service. Never be afraid to pay a few bucks more to buy at a knowledgeable local shop over a chain store like GC.

20. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Two Words: Price Match.

Do your homework and find the lowest price out there. When I ordered my Yamaha TRB 1006 I found out that there would be NO TAX & FREE S&H. The guy at GC would have probably charged me S&H.

Go into GC with the ADVERTISED PRICE of the LOWEST price you find.

My 2 cents,
    Joe