Buying from Ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wasim, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    Saw a Fender on there last night that went for ~$150 but chickened out of bidding

Is it smart to buy from ebay?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Buying from Ebay is smart if you're smart. If can use information given to tell whether an auction is legit, then you're all set. It's important to use your eyes and brain.
  3. Maybe some advice from an occasional eBay buyer and seller (over 100 sucessful transactions and no problems)would help.

1. Make sure that there are plenty of pictures in the auction, taken from every angle and showing all parts of the item.

2. Always email the seller and ask all questions before you bid. This will give you some idea of the type of person you would be dealing with.

3. Never bid on an item without knowing what the EXACT shipping cost will be. Some sellers use a flat rate while others vary depending on zip code, and charge a small handling fee. I have sold basses and guitars on eBay, and anything over $40.00 for shipping is way too much!

4. All reputable sellers have some type of return policy. Find out before you bid.

5. Pay for your item with PayPal, preferably with a credit card (not all sellers take cc's), then there will be some purchase protection.

6. Check the sellers "Feedback". This is where previous buyers and sellers can rate an eBayer's performance.

7. Technically, your bid is a binding contract, so if you win be prepared to pay. Never, ever, ever, bid more than you think the item is worth. Be prepared to lose if the item bids higher than you want to pay, just forget it, there will be others.

8. Read the sellers terms of sale, if you don't like thier policies, move on, no sense in arguing with them at the end of an auction.

9. eBay has user forums, read, read, read, and learn!

4. I've bought 3 basses from ebay. I do my homework on the instrument (new list pricing, reviews, etc.) before I bid. As someone said before me, it's smart if you are.
  5. Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
  6. dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    I've made some excellent purchases on eBay and would agree with Jim on every point. If you intend to spend a reasonable amount get to know the seller and keep asking questions until you get the answers you want. If you have any doubts or suspicions, don't bid. Other deals will come along.

I have found genuine musicians to be - genuine. It works both ways of course and most musicians will like to think their 'baby' is going to a good home. The only thing I can think to add is that in my limited experience pro musicians can have a different idea about what 'mint' means ... (I'm not being nasty here, it is just that they not so 'precious' about the tools of their trade as some of us amateurs/semi-pros can be).
  7. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004

I agree with everything that's been said here. I would go one step further and email people who have had transactions with the seller, especially if a negative feedback has been posted. This, too, can give you an idea about who you may potentially be dealing with. On a personal note, I was entertaining the idea of bidding on a moderately priced pre-Gibson Tobias Killer B from a guy who only had a couple of negative feedback posts about him out of a couple of hundred. Not a bad ratio, but when I contacted the people who left the feedback along with some contact with the seller, I determined the guy was an a**hole waiting to explode. Not someone you would want to deal with. :rollno: