1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying hybrid technology (vehicles)...used

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kissmybASS01, Jun 8, 2012.

1. I'm in the market for a newer vehicle. A 2006 Ford Escape hybrid AWD came up. I'm not looking for reviews on this particular vehicle per se, but for input/experience on buying hybrids used. The majority of our city taxi cabs are all hybrid Priuses

We have a fairly good public auto insurance body that dictates all used vehicles be sold with an up to date "safety." This is just a general checklist that makes sure the basics are satisfactory (engine, exhaust, trans, lights, brakes, etc) So...this part I'm not too worried about.

This particular vintage is 6yrs old. What might I expect regarding the life expectancy of that big honkin' battery? It's not like I can simply chuck out the old one and pick up a new one at Wal-Mart..at least not yet LOL. I read somewhere that Ford (not sure if only applicable in the States) warranties the battery for 8 yrs, which would give me up to two more years, and then I guess all bets are off.:(

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    No direct experience but I would not buy a used hybrid without a clean title, all service records and a dealer re-certification. Otherwise, it's just buying a used car.

3. Every used vehicle I've owned has always been taken to an independent garage for them to look over before I lay down any hard earned cash.

This is the thing with hybrids, I wonder how much experience non-dealership garages/mechanics have with hybrids. I know they are slightly more common now, and some are getting up there in age. Maybe getting a once over at an actual dealership service dept would be in order....

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I am unsure how warranties work regarding the battery cells...are they fully transferable I wonder? I don't think the manufacturers should be able to wash their hands of obligation to this part of a warranty if the vehicle changes hands. That's my only concern...that and making sure any scheduled maintenance for that system's upkeep had been addressed / performed.

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009