Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying Moi First Fretless, HELP ME.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slapnuts, Sep 10, 2005.

1. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Alright, I posted earlier about needing a fretless bass. Some recomended Ibanez, Carvin, and others. MY TOP PRICE IS 600 AND 600 ONLY. I really need the exact model number so i can tell my local shop to have it ordered so I can try it out.

2. MTD Kingstons/Heirs are supposed to make good fretless basses. plus they aren't very expensive.

3. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    I kinda want an idea of the price range that they are because i need to have some stuff done, but the fretless comes first, so how much are they, do you know?

4. warwick std fretless.. best sounding fretless i've played. you can get one for that price or less

5. togo002

togo002

Jul 19, 2005
  6. If I were you, I'd get myself a used MIM Fender Jazz (or P); you can always replace the original pickups, bridge, but try as many as you can, since some MIMs are much better than others ... Plus if you don't like the feel of fretless, you probably won't have any problems selling it. If you want to buy a 5 stringer, however, check out Ibanez GWB35, it's pretty good for the money and it's also very light..If you really like it, you can get yourself a "real" GWB bass once you feel you've made some progress.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Check out the Carvin B4. You can order fretless (with an ebony fingerboard!) at no extra cost.

The only downside is you have to get it direct from Carvin. Still, it could be your main fretlessfor years, so you'd save in the long run.

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=B4

Make sure you check all the options and get all the info. The humbucker on the pic is extra.

8. My vote goes for the B4 too

I have a fretless B4 with a Walnut body, and I could not be happier. This is the only bass I've ever had that completely took away my GAS. When I play it theres not another bass I could possibly want to be playing.

9. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    I HATE MUSICIANSFRIEND. BURN THEM DOWN. HAHAHAHAHA. FIRE!. Seriously, they screwed with me and it took me a month to get something that was supposed to take 5 days. I really dislike them.

10. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    No way! Sorry I forgot to mention this, but I would like active pickups. The only thing I have got with active pickups is an aria acoustic electric. I want a nice snappy tone combined with fretless.

11. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Buying Moi First Fretless, HELP ME.

Definitely go for a MIM Jazz. And a quick French lesson:

Moi = me
    Mon = my

Although I highly doubt anyone outside of eastern Canada would have any clue what "Buying Mon First Fretless" could possibly mean. :D

12. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA

I know that, I like using incorrect grammer for some reason. It is not because i live in the south.

13. I'm more eastren than you!! :ninja: .... i'se being from good ole nova scotia dere bye!! :hyper:

14. save up a few extra bucks and get the humbucker/preamp upgrade

15. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Oh. Now that I actually LOOK it is only 30 bucks for humbekers and 40 bucks for active electronics. That is only 30 bucks more.

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Pshaw, Jaco only needed passive electronics. :p

Seriously, having active electronics is no guarantee of a snappy sound. A good passive bass will often sound better than a similarly priced bass with a preamp because the preamp tends to be of a lower quality. Make sure you review all construction aspects when deciding.

Still, for $40 you're still in good shape, but out of your initial price range. Keep in Mind you'd have to buy a case as well.

Bad grammar on purpose, you say? Click here.

17. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    I've been playing fretless a long time, 600.00 severely limits you as to what you can get, but I have two suggestions: don't get a lined fretless, you'll end up using them as a crutch and wish you hadn't, and two, use flatwound strings on whatever you get, flatwounds growl much better and have a much thicker more present tone especially on a fretless. The neck will last much longer and you can also set your action lower. Roundwounds make a fretless bass sound very thin, for ex. Jaco was the biggest virtuoso on electric fretless bass the world has ever known but didn't have the best tone IMHO. If you can spend a few more bucks, (like about double) get a Rickenbacker 4003, they have more growl and balls than any fretless I've played. I've owned Fender P and J fretlesses, active and passive, and have played many others, the Ric blows them all away.

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    We're talkin 4 strings right? [i'm a 5er]

An Ernie Ball SUB4 fretless [unlined is all they come-but that may have changed]. I think it'd be either in your limit or just a bit above. You can buy them in active or passive configurations.

19. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne

this is interesting, i'd never have thought of the ric as working as a fretless but i'm a huge jaco fan so i guess i like more of that sound.

but he said he would like a snappy tone - would he get that with the ric?