Buying my 1st bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by over1307, Dec 31, 2003.

1. over1307

Dec 31, 2003
    I’ve been playing guitar for a few years now and have finally decided to take up bass. I like all different kinds of music so it would be nice to have a pretty good all around bass. I only intend to use it to learn on. My budget is about 350 dollars. I really would like a p-bass style in white or cream. Here’s a few I like

Johnson JP-800: I really like this one, maybe cause I’ve played on it and have yet to read or hear a bad review on it. It’s pretty basic set up split-coil Pickup, solid alder body, maple neck, and Rosewood fretboard. I can buy it local shop that has the best price I’ve seen 160 alone or 220 dollars for the pack (15-watt Johnson amp)

Epiphone EB3 Bass: don’t know to much about this one. It’s got better wood then the Johnson Mahogany and I’ve heard good things about the sidewinder pickups. It’s not really a p-body style and only comes in red or black. Price 350 dollars

Epiphone Accu Bass: More of the p-body style but the reviews I’ve read on it are very mixed. Could probably get one used for around 150 Dollars

Peavey Form: Seen a couple on e-bay. People say it’s more of a jazz bass. 150 dollars used

Peavey T-40: Saw this monster at a local pawnshop. Ash body maple neck really heavy. 180 dollars

Fender Standard Precision Bass: Played this one too but I liked the Johnson better. 250-350 dollars. I’m not anti-fender guy either I own (and love) a Strat.
    I’m open to all recommendations. I’d love too know what the experts think out there (that being you).
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Might I put in one for the Ibanez GSR300DX or SR400. Both have fast, narrow necks, very versatile in sound, look good and are pretty light.
  3. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    Find the Essex Megathread here and take a look.
  4. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    You wouldn't happen to mean a Peavey Forum, would you?
  5. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
  6. for 350 dollars you could find a used Fender MIM P-bass on ebay easily.
  7. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    Welcome! Get the bass with the better playability and best quality possible for your money. Practice like a madman and some day you'll get something like this...
  8. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Whatever you select, get it used. This will allow you to afford a better instrument, and minimize your loss when you decide to upgrade.