Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying my first amp + cab... HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markus, Aug 8, 2005.

1. markus

markus

Jan 13, 2005
    OK so I've been playing the bass for 7 years now, played in a band since 4 years and in two weeks I'm starting a well respected music high school here in Sweden. The thing is, the only equipment I own is a bass (OLP MM) and some effects. I need to buy an amp and a cab. I've been playing a poooooooor poor Yamaha 4x10... I'm afraid I've f***ed it tho, and that I have to pay it too when I return it..

Anyway

In Sweden, we have a 25 % sales tax.... That's right... You heard it.. That results in EVERYTHING being waay more expensive than in the U.S.
    I've just come home from a months vacation in USA (east coast) and i was really schocked by seeing one set of Ernie ball strings for 19.99 (at sam ash), when in Sweden you can't find them for less than 50 bucks....
    So, in order to get a cheap setup, I'm gonna buy it from Germany. At first, the plan was to go down there with me dad and take it home by ourselves. When we phoned and checked what they had in store tho, we decided that one or two combos in stock isn't enough..
    So, I'm gonna order it from Germany instead... Then I have to pay the swedish tax, but still, we're talking a big difference in price.
    Tomorrow, I'm going to the biggest city here in sweden (Stockholm), to play all the amps I wanna try out, and when I've decided, I'll order it from Germany..
    I need your help with advices and all that...

What I'm looking for is a 4x10 cab and a good amp that can also handle a 1x15 for later upgrades.. My budget is around 15-1700 $ (that is for both)

Some brands I'm interested in are Warwick, Hughes & Kettner (dunno how big they are in USA), SWR and possibly ampeg (mainly the box)
    The strongest candidate right now seems to be the SWR.. Probably Goliath III

My playing style is alot about slapping and popping, but I need it to work good when I play with my fingers.. I'm into funk, and I believe that sound is somewhere around what I'm looking for (you don't have to inform me about heavy metal amps etc..)

SO...
    What I'm asking from my fellow talkbassians, is that you help me with this very important affair.. This'll be my first rig ever, and I want to be satisfied with it for many years, cause I'm only sixteen, and it'll be a long time before I get a good job and can buy a new one.

Thank you very much in advance.. Please answere as fast as possible cause I'll buy it in a couple of days (maybe)

:bassist:

/Markus

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    What about Hevos or Glockenklang?

I've heard both make excellent equipment.

3. markus

markus

Jan 13, 2005
    never heard of them...

up

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
  5. markus

markus

Jan 13, 2005
    I will later. They're too late to have a chance =)

Anyway, today I was in Stockholm and tested some rigs...

I found the Goliath III the best cab in my priceclass. It could deliver the punch and everything I wanted in my sound. The best top I tried with the Goliath was the SWR SM-500.. Unfortunately, it was a bit too expensive.. I need something cheaper. Therefore, I also tried Warwick Pro Fet IV.... I found the sound satisfying.. It reminded me of the swr, but it was only 2/3 the price.

Now... What do you say about this? What are your reflections? The guy in the store said I really should try out the new EBS Neodynium 4x10, but I don't know. I've played EBS (it's from sweden btw.. the only good thing from here in music except Hagström) many times at gigs but I've never gotten a sound even near the one I want. That's probably cause I haven't really looked though.

Help me out.. Time is a factor

/Markus

6. Personally, I've just gone for a KUSTOM GROOVE BASS rig. Now I don't know how loud you need or how much money you've got, but the amp head can be bought for about 500 us dollars on ebay, and should go as loud as you'll probably ever need. You'll need to get the cab seperately (not seen any on ebay) - it is cheap though.

I know what you mean about price, that 500 dollar amp costs 550 POUNDS in england, which works out nearly twice as much... :rollno: :spit: :bawl:

7. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    From the sounds of your style, I have a great recommendation for you. It is pretty cheap, but not a very roadworthy setup. a Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Bass Head and a Behringer Ultrabass BA410 1000W 4x10 Bass Cabinet.

This is different from what you want, but I almost found this in till i found the A vintage Kustom Head and an old Ampeg guitar cab (Unique sound.). Good Luck

Try E-Bay and Local Pawn Shops. Often if you say what kind of deal can you give me on this and this if i pay you cash, they will lower the price for you. And sometimes you can convince them to not make you pay tax. Take your time while shopping, you don't want to make any mistakes while buying this investment.

Good Luck And Godspeed

8. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    +1 on the kustom rig.

BTW Are there any hevos or glockenlang dealers in the us?

-Rob

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Hevos -- not that I know of (or that their website shows).

Glock:
    http://www.salwender.com/

10. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    If you really want kustom, once again, hunt ebay or pawnshops as the new groove line is COMPLETLY different from the classic Kustom. I know because i have a vintage kustom and i played through a groove. :bassist:

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

+2 on the Kustom. Best bang for the buck head out there period! $500 for a brand new 1200 watt head with killer tone. Nothing can touch it at that price...

12. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    +3 for me. I have that old Kustom and I love it. :hyper:

13. markus

markus

Jan 13, 2005
    Thank you very much for all your help guys, but I don't know...
    To suddenly start evaluating Kustom and Behringer seems a bit to late for. But if I see it in the next store I am in, I'll definitely check them out.

I need to underline a few things tho:
    It's not VERY important to get cheap stuff. I mean, I won't choose a 500 $ amp that's not as good as the 800 $..
    Also, I want your views on the amps and cabs that I've tried out, namely
    SWR Goliath III
    SWR 4004 amp (didn't like it)
    SWR SM-500 (a bit too expensive.. about 1300 $)

Warwick 411 Pro
    Warwick Pro Fet Series (the IV and V)

Also, what are Your views on the new neodynium magnets? Is it wrong to buy a new rig now, with old technology. I mean, aren't these new series from the big brands the future?
    Isn't 60 lb amp better than a 90 lb?
    (observe that i'm not looking for vintage sounds or tube amps)

Another problem is that Stockholm is Sweden's biggest town, and there are only 3 (!) stores in the town... And none of them have the models I wanna try in store.. Talked to a guy in another town tho (the general agent of Warwick) and he said he'd get the neo series in a couple of weeks. So I won't buy anything 'til I've tried them..

Keep up with your great help..
    Tell me more about Kustom. Will it fit my sound?

/Markus

14. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Can't blame you that you don't know Hevos (which is Dutch, btw) but you don't know Glockenklang?? :eek: Both are very very expensive. Never been a big fan of SWR but a lot of people swear by it. Kustom has begun a new life as I understand it and I've heard good things about it.

15. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Kustom Groovebass probably best in the class, forget the behringer :p. Would recommend tech soundsystems for the cab along with glockenlang, both german, both got a good rep. Sadly the list price for the tech 4x10 is 1,300 euros. Forget that then :(. Pity since it would handle all 1200 Groovebass watts.

16. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA

Like I said earlier, you really, REALLY are taking this way too fast. SLOW DOWN. Take your time. It took me almost a year to find the perfect setup. And by cheaper, I meant a more expensive set-up that is out of your range that is used and in your range, ok. You never know what you will find

17. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    O.K. mr. speedy. If you really are in a hurry, try warwick. In my opinion, EVERYTHING S.W.R. SUCKS! :spit: I know of a lot of things that hold up better than s.w.r. My friend had a top-o-the-line s.w.r. and it fell (literaly) apart after 2 gigs. When he called about the warrenty, he had a 3 hour battle with them. So no swr for me. I don't know about you. :confused:

I guess what I am saying is you need something that holds up and has a good tone to your ear. :bassist:

18. markus

markus

Jan 13, 2005
    Still waiting for the general agent to call me and say that he's got the new warwick stuff...

19. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    So did he call you yet or not?

20. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For a cab, I would say that the Gol III is a great choice. It is quite punchy, which would do quite well for funk. However, stay away from SWR electronics. From my experience, they are a bit overrated for the given wattage, and quite overpriced. It is very hard to find a Warwick in the US, but I did stumble on a Warwick head used a while back, and it sounded decent. I think you may be able to do a bit better though... See if you can find a Yorkville or a GK head. I think those may be your best choices if you can find em.