1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying my first bass amplifier, five possible

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Narrie, May 19, 2011.

1. Narrie

Narrie

May 17, 2011
    Hi,

I'm gonna buy my first bass amp in the coming days and I was wondering if somebody have any experience with any of these I have listed here? :help:

In my shop, the Behringer costs about the same as those below. I guess it's on sale or something. Is it a good buy? I see it's a head, not a combo amp. What's the difference between it and a combo? I'm not buying an amp from Amazon, I just think it's a great place to show you guys the products.

[DEL]Behringer BVT5500H 550W
    Amazon.com: Behringer BVT5500H 550-watt Bass Amplifier Head with VTC Tube Modeling and Voicing Selector: Musical Instruments[/DEL]

Fender Rumble 30
    Amazon.com: Fender Rumble 30 Bass Amplifier: Musical Instruments

Peavey 110
    Amazon.com: Peavey MAX 110 Bass Combo Amplifier 20 Watts 1x10in Speaker: Musical Instruments

Line6 Low Down LD15
    Amazon.com: Line 6 Low Down LD15 Bass Amp: Musical Instruments

EBS Classic Session 60
    Amazon.com: EBS Classic Session 60 Combo - 60 W Tiltback Bass: Musical Instruments

This is gonna be my first bass amp, the bass I've bought is a Samick PMB-175.

- Narrie ;)

2. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    A head alone isn't working. You need a cab with it.
    What's the purpose of the amp ? playing alone, home, or playing in a band ? If so, what type of band (style, how the drummer plays, what's the watt rating of the guitarist's amps, etc.).

3. Narrie

Narrie

May 17, 2011
    I guess we can exclude the head then.

Primarily practicing at home at first and jamming with a couple of friends. The drummer plays quite loud sometimes, I wanna keep up with him.

For now, it's just me and my friend on drums. We shall play Rock, funk and metal.

4. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Most of those wouldn't even come close to being able to jam with a drummer. I guess the EBS is your best shot out of those. I would suggest an Acoustic B20 for playing at home, and then watch craigslist in your area for bigger stuff you can afford.

-JV

5. Narrie

Narrie

May 17, 2011
  6. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    For practising the EBS is far the best choice.
    For jamming with a drummer none of them will work. You need a much bigger rig.
    If you can afford it, a Markbass Mini CMD 121 P can be good for both purposes.

7. If you're jamming with a drummer and you're any good it won't be very long before you will be forming a band and no practice amp will do the job. Used gear is where it's at for loud and cheap.

Used 4x10 or much better two used 2x10's, a cheap preamp and a cheap power amplifier. You can get a used sansamp VT off the classifieds and mailed to Norway for very cheap preamp. Quality older power amps are getting a lot cheaper lately with all the new lightweight amps replacing them.

8. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    The Fender for the 30 watts, kickback feature, CD input, and headphone jack.