Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying my first Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Apr 4, 2005.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Today I will be buying a Lakland 55-01, which is my first bass.
    I have never played one or heard one either. But I love the way they look. I am very excited :hyper: :hyper:
    :bassist:

2. You're starting out on a Lakland? Man... you gotta have ambitions... be sure to invest money into Bass-lessons, otherwise other bassists might laugh upon you if you suck at playing with a bass like that.

3. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Yea I am getting bass lessions. Why would someone laugh for trying something new. Its just cause I would be using a Lakland for my first bass. :eyebrow: :)

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Just cause its a fairly professional instrument I think hehe. It may not be the most expensive one out there or anything, but its deffinantly considered a pro-line in most people's opinions Id think hehe.

And dont worry, I got my Dingwall after only 9 months of playing, and I got/get those looks sometimes, but mostly people just wanna play it, so thats always cool hehe. I'll only do it more and more justice as time passes hehe.

5. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    you're scary... :bag:

(get a used 55-02 instead if you can!) :D

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Im a happy guy, what can I say. Actually, its an old habbit from typing online. So many times tone of a post can be misinturpretted to be tinged with any emotion the reader wants to read into it, so I put hehe a lot to be sure no one minsunderstands my meanings when Im trying to be light hearted, sometimes I go overboard not realizing it lol.

7. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    lol...i got my GT7 after 10 months...think about the looks I got..but most of them were just jealous :->

8. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I know some people will be jealous. :D But what can I say I love that bass. :hyper:

9. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well, if you by the Lakland, then decide you dont want to play bass, and want to give the Lakland to someone, look me up :p

10. When I bought my first bass I went to the store and told the guy I wanted to buy a bass. He said "this one is a goöd beginner bass", and I said "OK, sure, I'll take that one then". He said "Do you want to play it?", and I replied "No, that's alright, I'll take it".

Turned out it was an Ibanez GSR200.

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Sounds like a good salesman, good starter bass there, same one I started with hehe.

12. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    lol, well, GSR's, considering that they are beginner basses, are actually quite good. I mean, you can find them for about 150 bucks, and they are pretty sturdy and reliable

13. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Sounds good man! I started out on a MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 and I must say it was better than starting out on a cheapo $200 Ibanez or Washburn. Also it's great you're starting out on a 5 string.

14. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Haha, pretty nice first bass. I saw a dad and his son (not too young though) in a store once buying an American Series P for his first bass.

15. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA

what if he had showed you a warwick? or a Bongo?

16. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Thats an awesome bass man, hope you stick with bass after spending the dough.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, on the brighter side you have more incentive to stick with it if the going gets rough. You have too much invested ;)

I didn't buy my first "professional" level bass for about two years and it was merely a Stingray. Nice first bass, I'm almost jealous.

18. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Wish my Lakland was my first bass:( ... it was my 4th but now I never put her down... Pics? what kinda Finish? ... Love those Cherry SB deluxes... pics of mine in profile btw... to bad I dont have a better picture.

19. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Merely a Stingray??

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats. The 55-01 is a true pro quality bass, and should server you well for years to come.