Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying my first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by swish, Dec 26, 2000.

1. swish

swish

Dec 26, 2000
    A few simple questions from a guy who is looking to put the old six string acoustic down and learn to play a bass.

Assuming that I don't want to take out a second on the house or sell my truck ...

What factors should I consider about when I am looking for a bass to purchase?

Where are the best places to look for a bass?

Are the online auctions any good?

How did you balance budget with the knowledge that a crummy instrument will likely develop crummy habits?

I've read the online FAQs and a few magazine articles - I'm actually more interested in what those participating in this forum think. If you are willing to share...

Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way.

2. hey, your gonna get alot of complexed answers describing the pros and cons of certain "beginner" instruments, but the best advice i can give u is get out and play the instruments, don't get caught up in the money factor, set yourself a budget and stick to it, say it's $300 then play all the instruments you can from the new mim j's to the secondhand gem in the corner that looks a little beaten ,

1 your not gonna get playing without a bass so if someone tells u to wait and save for that musicman ( cos there good )don't bother

stick to your limit, don't let some asre hol get u in debt,, but your a guitarist so youi'll know that

get the bass that feels good for your try as many as you can of the same make and model before desiding, there all different

once you get the bass get it to the local builder repairer and get it looked at , setup fret dressed
    it'll make the difference

i've only been playing 14 months on bass, but i turnder a usa j bass into a gem for me

badass 2 dimarzio ultra jazz pu's full setup strap locks

sorry to go on , but finally get those frets looked at the edges and 12 up cos there just too high and round

go for it and get fundky

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

What he said ! :D

4. Hey! Welcome to bass-playing! I would recomend a Squier, not to hype them or anything. I have one that is my regular bass (and my only one) but I'm really pleased with it. But like the guys said, go experiment.

5. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Check out the used route. You should be able to find a quality bass for as much or lower than a new budget priced model. Play as many new and used ones as you can to get an idea. And since you play guitar you should know what to look for in quality and workmanship to help you make your choice. Personally I wouldn't buy a used guitar on Ebay. You might end up with a warped neck or some other flaw that you don't see in the picture and they don't tell you about. Unless its an absolute steal, I would have to play it first. Good luck

[Edited by jrock111 on 12-27-2000 at 07:12 PM]

6. What He said. Go used.