1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

buying my first double bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Nathanvleugels, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Nathanvleugels

Nathanvleugels

Jan 24, 2014
    Belgium
    Hi

I'm thinking about buying a double bass and I find it all to be rather confusing...
    There seem to be a lot of cheap options and usually I hear people say I should buy a laminated one to start with, but I've been playing electric bass for a while and I have an electric double bass that I also gig with sometimes so I feel like I'm not a complete beginner.
    The big question is; what type of double bass should I buy? I don't have a lot of money and I usually don't mind the cheaper things even for gigs, but are laminated double basses decent enough to do small semi-professional gigs with?

If I save up for a while I'm thinking the absolute max I could spent on it would be €1500, so what are some good options for that price?

2. Yes

lurk and Chris204T like this.
  3. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Scott Lynch and Nathanvleugels like this.
  5. Nathanvleugels

Nathanvleugels

Jan 24, 2014
    Belgium
    Thanks, this is indeed a very helpful article!

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  6. Acoop

Acoop Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Think of it as a big piece of furniture. ... You don't by buy a couch if you don't have a place to put it. ... An upright is a committment. ... That said, a good laminate is a great starting point. ... Any upright or violin shops around where you live? ... If so drop by and start a conversation. ... You'll need, whatever you buy, to have a pro-setup with good strings ($200). Also decide what type of upright style do you want to play. ... Country/Rock-a-billy, blues, jazz, classical? ... Different styles have different set ups. ... Try to find a bass with an ebony fretboard and tail piece. Try to keep the strength length to 41"+. ... There are many used well made German, laminates out there so, be patient. ... There's a good chance you know someone who knows someone that has a bass no one is playing and they'll sell. ... Ask around.

7. Nathanvleugels

Nathanvleugels

Jan 24, 2014
    Belgium
    I don't have any violin or double bass shops near me, nor do I know anyone who plays double bass... I was hoping to buy one online. I do have a couple of contacts who might know where to get it set up. I think if I buy it at Thomann, they do a basic setup and I'd ask to set it up for jazz or folk or something like that. right now I use my electric double bass at gigs sometimes and we play mostly folk -ish music. (I don't ever play with a bow, but I do want to lear that at some point)

8. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi, and welcome to the dark side! There`s something confusing about Thomann setups, from what I have read here they need a touch of a luthier anyway. Everything about uprights surely is expensive, but believe me, setup is something you need to get right from the scratch. So I would advice you to get in touch with a good luthier who knows basses and string instruments, whichever source you`re buying your bass from. Another thing is that don`t be afraid of the bow, it will teach you how to sound full and play in tune. Acoustic upright is different to electric one in that it`s all about acoustic resonance. The bow will teach you that, whether you`re about to play it outside the practise room or not. Good luck!!!

s0707 and Nathanvleugels like this.