1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

buying my first guitar tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by joebar, Aug 26, 2012.

1. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    after playing bass for 28 years i am finally going to take the plunge and buy a guitar.
    been making a lot of excuses as to why i haven`t but i am going to be doing some home recording and such and figure it is time to really learn.
    i mean i can play some chords but have never called myself a guitarist; i think like a bass player.
    i wonder if i will play guitar like the bass. i wonder if i will grasp different phrasing and approaches.
    should be interesting...
    anyone else kinda in the same boat?

BTW-i am getting a gretsch electromatic 5420T

2. go for it!

my son played bass for years and then got a guitar. he said that bass definitely helped with guitar.

we got him a fender Telecaster FMT (which is like a Les Paul in sound). we then put a Bigsby on it. he loves it.

good luck

davesignatureII-1.

3. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'd like a one pickup tele.
    eventually...:)

4. UpTheLowEnd

UpTheLowEnd

May 18, 2011
    Sure man, go for it!

I was purely a bassist for years until i picked up a guitar a couple years back. The bass skills are so transferable, it helps a huge amount when learning the guitar.

5. I would recommend starting with an acoustic and concentrate on developing a smooth flowing strumming technique before attempting to go to electric.

Rhythm guitar is all about timing, very much like bass. A lot of (electric) guitarists I know don't have a clue about playing proper rhythm guitar. They miss that part out and jump straight to the widdly diddly lead bits leaving a big hole in their skills. (IMO, IME YMMV etc)

6. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Do it!! I started on bass in 1970 and finally picked up guitar in 1998.

To date I'm probably no better of a player (technically) than John Lennon was. But if I never picked up guitar I never would have written the songs that I did. Not saying my songs are great or even any good. Just saying without guitar they wouldn't have happened.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Check the TB guitar thread. vvvvv

8. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    I have a classical but want an electric. That is a fine choice, too. Gretsch makes a great looking axe.

9. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i suspect i would be more rhythym based as a guitar player; even as a bassist. i wouldn`t know how to solo because what i do is satifying enough.
    at least with an archtop hollow-body i can play acoustically.
    i always thought i would get a nice acoustic but never an electric...