Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying my first jam / gig amp (PeaveyTKO)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spikeh, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Hey all - I've been using a Peavey practice amp (20w I believe) for a few years now and I've decided I want something with a little more umph. Been reading up on Peavey TKOs and there's and old one going pretty cheap at the moment.

[​IMG]

What do you guys reckon to it (for garage jaming and possible future pub gigs), and what would it be worth in mint condition, second hand?

2. Depends what your playing (music wise) and what your up against, it might be fine, it might be drowned out, thing is, with bass 75 watts ( i think thats what the tko is ? ) isnt that much

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That was my first ever serious bass amp (I did have a small practise amp before hand but it was so poor that everything else about it is blotted from my memory!). In fact, I've still got it - I keep it at church where it's used by myself (when I can't be bothered to lug up my other gear) and anyone else playing bass. Since I've had it for 15+ years, I think I've had my money's worth from it!

Our church isn't the highest volume situation available but, back in the day, I also used it for a fair number of gigs at pubs, colleges and the like. I've no idea about the current going rate but if you're looking for solid and dependable that will get you through a few gigs before you need to upgrade it, I'd say it's definitely worth considering.

Wulf

4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    put a Black Widow speaker in it and you have strong sound,and also if you can,buy a Peavy TNT,they are rock solid

5. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I've been told it's 100W... but that's about it. I don't really wanna mod anything tbh...

I play a Deluxe Active Jazz... I've been jamming with mates for a few weeks now (properly) and even with my current amp at 1/2 volume, all the amp EQ flat and my mids on my bass low, and I still cut through ok - even through the drums and the guitar distortion. We turned everything up to see who was loudest, and my little amp easily blew the socks off both guitars and the drums! Was very distorted, and I wouldn't play it like that normally though!

Do any of you know what it's worth? I don't wanna pay over the odds! The newer version is coming out at about £250 (around $300) - should I be comparing it to that one?

6. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    :eyebrow: Peavey... Whatever. I have never really had good experieces with peaveys. Maybe I am just power hungry but they could never satisfy me. When you have a drummer and a guitarist or two playing their hearts out as loud as they can then there is not a chance that you will be heard. I have had the experience of playing on the bigger model the TNT and I really can't hear myself. The speaker always makes farting noices when you get to loud and ya, just not a good exsperience. I would really like to encorage you to wait and get your own rig. Maybe a ashdown rig. Something that you can stand up and challenge your guitarist with. There is almost nothing more disapionting then playing a gig or even a practice and not being able to hear yourself.

7. Dont get me wrong, i love my peavey firebass with 4x10, but, its a fair difference in power to the TKO

The TKO is 75 watt at 8ohm and 100 watt at 4ohm, so it says on the peavey site, this leads me to believe that its 75 watt on its on, and you can add another 8ohm cab to cut it down to 4ohms

8. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    in the past i have a Peavy TNT with Black Widow speaker and this amp was a bomb,the sound uffff i remember the punch buttom,my fav part of the combo TNT :bassist:

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It sounds like it would probably be enough amp for your present needs. What price range have you seen it for? I think I paid about £300 for mine in 1990... not that this tells you much at all (except how the price of some musical gear is relatively much lower than it was ten years ago!).

Wulf

10. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

It's on ebay - for £82 so far. 5 days left though!

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Is it somewhere near enough to collect? Postage isn't going to be cheap on something as solid and heavy as a Peavey combo! ;)

Wulf

12. If you dont get it, i strongly recommend looking at peavey half stack ;)

Im currently bidding on a lovely bit of peavey gear :)

13. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Yep, it's about an hours drive. Already thought of that :)

I just want something that's cheap(ish) and will make more noise than my current amp. I don't actually NEED it right now, cos I can hear myself on my little amp anyway!

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you don't need it right now, be wary of getting caught up in a bidding war and paying anything more than a bargain price. Looking at recent auctions on ebay.co.uk, someone picked up a Laney R2 (120W) for £199, a Peavey TNT 130 went for £71 and a 150W Trace Elliot combo went for £176. Personally, I'd certainly be wary of putting down more than about £100 for it.

Wulf

15. If you dont need it maybe be better laying a bit of money aside and getting a half stack when you do need more ;)