Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying my first real bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkspec, Jun 16, 2004.

1. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    By real I mean a non-cheapo bass. Next friday I am purchasing a Traben 5 Pheonix in Blood Red. :bassist: I was wondering if anyone owns one of these yet? Do you guys think its worth the 600$? I know its no warwick or fodera but this bass will be my first real bass and Im kinda hesitant about spending this much on a bass considering I flip burgers for a living. Also, has anyone ordered from guitar asylum before? Any bad/good feedback for them? I see some good feedback on their site but im sure they wouldnt put the bad.

2. Never played one...but i kinda like the looks of them. They look real bad-a**.

If you are getting one make sure to post a review..id love to hear about how they are.

3. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    If you are cnsidering spending seriou smoney on a bass (everyones idea of serious is differant) you really should play the bass first, not just that bass in general but the exact bass you want to buy.

4. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    You should DEFINITELY play the bass before you buy it. When you're shopping around...don't even worry about what brands/models you're looking at. Every bassist likes their bass to play/sound/feel different. Find the one that best fits what YOU like. Make sure you try them out through an amp that you know well...this way you can really HEAR what the bass is putting out. If you like the sound of a certain bass, but the action isn't the way you like it, ask them to change it...if they're not willing to do that before you buy it, go somewhere else. Basically just try everything before you buy...you might be surprised and find a perfect bass at a low cost!

5. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    They are waaay badass. I would suggest trying em out at a guitarcenter near you before you buy one.

6. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    As I assumed because guitar center sucks the big one, they do not carry them. But good news!!! A local music shop around here named lentines got in one of each of the models. So this weekend Im swinging down there to try them out. The guy just got them in last week and I guess no one has rocked out on them yet..he wants someone to give them a good run around to see if he should get some in stock or not. Hopefully these turn out to be worth the $$$. :hyper:

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Definitely a neat looking bass. They look way better than the pic I saw in BP! I love the integrated pickguard/bridge design. Definitely an interesting bass, and one that I'd love to try out.

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

I like the neck inlay, I don't like any thing else about it.

9. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Wow, that is a awesome looking bass

10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    The Phoenix was reviewed in the June issue of Bass Player. It was a generally positive review. One of those "this is a pretty good bass for the money" kind of reviews.

11. I've played a couple, and I was not impressed at all. They were extremely heavy (that huge bridge isn't made out of plastic, you know) and it really didn't sound that good, either. Very bland tone. Not good, but not bad. Just no really unique sounds.

12. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Well, as I type this im in the waiting for the brown truck mode. Bass should be here tuesday. Ive read some mixed reviews on the bass, some people love it.......some hate it. I havent found anyone that owns one though. Ill post some pics and a review as soon as I get it. Hopefully some sound clips too.

And oh yeah, screw guitar asylum. They werent very helpful, they didnt have the one I wanted in stock and couldnt tell me if it would fit into a coffin case. The guy said he would get back to me in a couple days after he checks his other store. That kinda pissed me off.....How hard is it to check inventory in another store you own?????? Oh well though..

8th street music on the other hand gets a great review from me. Very polite person I talked to over the phone, got into a nice convo about basses with him. :) And they had the bass in stock.