1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buying my second bass, could use some advice/opinions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dontdropthebass, Mar 15, 2013.

1. dontdropthebass

dontdropthebass

Mar 15, 2013
    So, I've had my Squier P-bass for maybe 6-7 months or so, and having been practicing somewhat often I feel its about time to add another bass to my, incredibly slowly building collection.

I want to get a violin body, and looking into them I've found two that I'm kind of torn between. The epiphone viola and the hofner icon violin. I've heard good and bad from both, and I'm drawn a little more towards the hofner for the control board and aesthetic reasons; I love the look of the guard, and it also comes in black...But, is it built and sound that much better than the epiphone to be worth the increased price tag? As I said, I've heard good and bad about both and one consistent complaint about the hofner is that it feels cheap and flimsy which is something that would worry me.

I'd be buying them both from guitar center(really the only half decent guitar store around where I live) and theres only about a 160 dollar difference between them.

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    The price of an AXL McCartney Violin bass

I got one and it actually comes from the facility (AXL) where the Epiphone Viola is manufactured (same v/v/t control plate and sunburst only finishing) except that with an Hofner-wise trademark "angled" headstock...

While you're mumblin' over the two most famous contenders, sometimes the "evil" market helps you out

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. dontdropthebass

dontdropthebass

Mar 15, 2013
    Well, under that advice I looked looked it, and I the only thing I found that AXL makes is their badwater and marquee lines. Even just doing a google search of "AXL McCartney Violin bass" came up with nothing.

4. I remember looking at the Hofner and the Epiphone a while ago. I ended up forgoing both because of the price and neck dive respectively, and getting a Danelectro semi-hollow. The price was the same, and the neck dive wasn't as bad.

I'd just suggest watching out for the neck dive. It can be deceiving in the store unless you have a strap and play standing up. Good luck!

5. dontdropthebass

dontdropthebass

Mar 15, 2013
    Standing with a strap is pretty much the only way I play, actually. So I'm not too worried about neck dive.