Buying my Second Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spring, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Spring

Spring

May 27, 2016
    Hi, TalkBass members :)

I have been playing bass for almost a year and a half. I posted a comment on the TalkBass YouTube channel about what beginner bass to buy, and I ended up going with a Fender Squier Affinity P/J 4 string bass (Linked here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DWVBDM8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1v ). I have played in jazz bands, worship bands, and jam sessions with that bass since.

I now feel it's time to upgrade (as well as add another string for the synth bass lines that a lot of worship songs have nowadays). I have been looking at the Yamaha TRBX305 (Linked here: https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-TRBX305-PWT-5-String-Electric/dp/B00GEC019I/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1510026257&sr=1-1&keywords=yamaha+trbx305&th=1 ). I've played with it at a family owned guitar shop. The owner of the store said to me he'd order one and set it up for free (which he said would normally be $50 if I brought him a guitar from elsewhere). Does anyone have this bass? If so, how has it held up to your playing? Would this be a good intermediate bass? Please, let me know! Thanks :)

Edit: Also, what hard case fits well with this bass? I don't want to ding it up in a cheap gig bag like my previous bass....

UPDATE: Thank you, everyone, for the contributions to this post! I did not end up going with the TRBX305, or the Ibanez, or any 5 string bass for that matter... My friend is a worship leader at a church and his bass player (who is a very awesome player) convinced me to wait and buy a Fender MIM P bass. This does not mean the information in this thread isn't useful though. It's a good read on 5 string basses on a budget.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. I don't own that bass, but I have played it in a store and I owned it's predecessor a couple of years back. Nice instruments that sounded good, were versatile and played nice. I did however find them a bit on the heavy and chunky side, but that's just personal preference.

I would check out more basses before making my decision. Try some Ibanez models, like the SR305 and SR505. They are lighter with slimmer necks and tighter string spacing, and superb instruments in their own right. Some people (like myself) prefer that. There are also some 5-string Squier models that might suit your fancy if you like the bass you already have.

Spring likes this.
  3. Spring

Spring

May 27, 2016
    Thanks for the reply! I've also been looking at the Squier Vintage Modified 70s 5 string bass as well but all the stores I've been to don't seem to have it. Out of all the basses so far that I've noodled with at the local shop and the Guitar Center I liked the Yamaha the most. I am concerned about the weight though (My current bass being 9 or 10 pounds). The Yamaha is around 8 pounds.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If the shop owner is willing to do that, it sounds like he/she is a good person to do business with and build a relationship. Remember, not every model of a bass is the same weight. What's wrong with the mdel in the shop?

Spring and Haroldo like this.
  5. Spring

Spring

May 27, 2016
    Nothing is wrong with it. I like it a lot :) The only thing I'm concerned about is the weight. I believe the Yamaha is around 8 pounds. When I do two hours or more of gigging with my current bass (Something like 10 pounds) my shoulders tend to hurt and I have to take off the bass in between sets to rest. A nice strap might be the solution (I just use a cheap strap that a buddy gave me).

6. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Spring and javi_bassist like this.
  7. Spring

Spring

May 27, 2016
    jlepre likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    A good strap would definitely help with your current bass. FWIW, your Squier isn't that heavy, and 8 pounds is light for a solid bodied bass.

Basses are like candy bars - everyone has a different fav. I know plenty of people gigging with Squiers, and those unhappy with $1500 basses. I don't know your budget, but Yamahas are generally good basses for their price. If you are happy with the floor model, see how good a price you can get for it.

Spring likes this.
  9. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    This is the thin edge of the wedge, the camel's nose under the tent, the slippery slope......if you're like most of us, make sure you've enough disposable income to support this habit. Other than the dough, it's a harmless addiction.

Spring, J-Bassomatic and micbass like this.
  10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Try before you buy!

I dont even remember with 100% certainty what my second bass was, and it was only 14 years ago. Thats how slippery the slope becomes!

I think:

1. Fender MIM Jazz (still have it)
    2. Hohner B2adb headless (neck warped after a few months)
    3. Godin SD (not bad, put Bart pickups in it)
    4. SX Fretless P bass (uneven fretboard spots, killer for the money)
    5. Spector Q5 (just didnt like it)
    6. Musicman Sterling USA (loved it for years)
    7. Musicman Stingray 5 HH (never vibed with it)
    8. Musicman Stingray 2 band Fretless (never vibed with it)

in no particular order at this point

Parts P bass 1982 Fender Neck unknown body
    Parts P bass Squier PJ Special, vintage modified fretless jazz neck
    Parts P bass MIM fender neck/unknown body
    MIJ SQ Squier P bass
    Fender Japan Fretless Jazz, Jaco esque
    Yamaha PJ
    Warwick Rockbass 5 Fretless
    Peavey T40
    Gibson G3 (x2)
    MIJ Fender Bullet
    Ibanez ATK300
    Gibson Ripper Fretless
    MIJ JV P bass
    MIJ Ibanez Roadster 80's
    '78 Fender P bass
    Matt Freeman Squier P bass
    Classic Vibe Squier 60s P bass
    ESP LTD 214 PJ bass
    Squier Musicmaster Vista Tone
    Fender Musicmaster
    Squier SS Jaguar
    Fender Mustang

may be 1 or 2 I am forgetting

Something like that

and whats my main player this week/today? A squier PJ! (dimarzio pickups, gotoh bridge). Great feeling neck from an affinity P bass (made in china, slab board), body from a indonesian PJ special, walnut satin.

Ive had basses that cost nearly $2000 and this one costs $200!

Collecting basses is a wonderful journey that teaches you a lot. You learn so much about your own preferences, other people's perspectives, manufacturing, quality control, subjectivity..

I only own a couple now. Lots of these were sold to fund the next thing!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    pappabass and Spring like this.
  11. Like I said , if weight is important to you, check out Ibanez. Sore shoulders won't be a problem.

Spring and Reedt2000 like this.
  12. And if the TRBX is your thing, check out this review.

Spring and Reedt2000 like this.
  13. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    I'm not familiar with it, but I think that an active 5 will compliment your passive 4 very well. That's typically what I always recommend for people looking to get a second bass :)

Spring likes this.
  14. Spring

Spring

May 27, 2016
    Thank you everyone for your replies! I will take all your advice into consideration.

15. pablop

pablop

Apr 28, 2009
    Los Angeles CA
    I see that your thread is aimed at buying a new instrument.
    I am an advocate that used market gets you a better instrument for the same money if not less.
    As for some of the options posted I will give you my personal opinion,
    I owned a Sire 7 bass, the positive is that the preamp is dialed to give you great tone. The downside was the weight and neck profile.
    From both the neck profile was the biggest gripe for me, the neck felt like a baseball bat and did not taper while moving up the register. The profile at the nut felt huge particularly. It was real heavy too, I could have lived with the weight if the neck felt right.

A wide strap will help with the shoulder for sure.
    I would be looking at MIJ Fender or other reputable brand, I would also consider Lakland Skyline if I needed a complimentary active bass, Skylines have amazing neck profiles to me.
    G&L's can be bought for real low prices, my gripe is the string spacing on their 5ers, some basses have narrow string spacing. I am partial to 19mm just like a regular 4 string.

I love old yamaha's but the string spacing on their 5ers is narrow.

Spring likes this.
  16. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    Until you have your kids on the sidewalk with a cup and a "My dad spent all our money on gear" sign around their neck.:)

Spring likes this.
  17. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I'll second the 305, or just about any Ibanez bass. They put out great stuff. I owned a fretless (SR305F) for maybe six years and it was a great performer.

If you haven't tried one, you gotta. They aren't for everyone, though. They have aggressive pickups, which are tameable in the right hands, but may not suit your wants.

An '89 L-2000 has been my main for two years and surpasses every bass I've ever owned in terms of aesthetics, sound and playability.

Spring likes this.
  18. tpa

tpa

Dec 1, 2007
    København, Danmark
    You are looking for an upgrade. I can't say if the Yamaha is an upgrade compared to the VM Precision. Have you - besides the number of strings and weight - given a thought to which specific difference/upgrade are you looking for? Not that I choose that way. I mostly buy unprepared and in blind ruled by irrational feelings such as "does it look cool" :)

Spring likes this.
  19. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    This is how it starts. I am up to 35ish. I don't even know anymore.

Spring likes this.
  20. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Barrackville WV
    You are usually ahead to buy locally when you can.

Spring likes this.