Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying my second Gravity 5 Deluxe today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andruca, Aug 31, 2004.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hi everybody!

This post is just a reivindication of Fernandes basses. I'm buying my second Gravity 5 Deluxe today and I'm afraid I can't find any bass I like more. I know Fernandes are regarded to like the low budget instruments they are, but, hey they kick much expensive basses' butts and their quality is superb. I was thinking of getting a mid budget 35" and tested the following:

- Dean Edge Q 5
    - Yamaha TRB 1005
    - Ibanez BTB 405QM
    - Schecter Stiletto Elite 5

All of them failed to compare to the Gravity (being the Ibanez the worst and the Yammie the best) and I ended up thinking that all the 35" talk is just a myth as none of them had a better B string than my Fernandes. I also own an Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray 5 that is amazing, but unfortunately has much less usable tones than my Fernandes. So I decided to go for another one.

I also had many brands of basses (Peavey, Fender -the ugliest, but I'm totally anti-Fender so don't trust me that much-, Ibanez, G&L -rather ugly too-, Yamaha, Aria) and must say that Fernandes' quality is far superior than any of them.

So, as you see I'm happy. I'll post pictures in a couple of days. Don't let the low budget image of Fernandes fool you. I'd even buy a Fernandes for twice the price of a MIA Fender, because it's worth that and much more.

ANDRUCA

2. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Which model Gravity 5 are you talking about, the previous neck through version or the current one in production. I've never played one as there are no dealers around my area. What is the string spacing like?

3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    The Gravity never came neck-thru. The Tremor was the one that came in a neck-thru version (I think until 2002). Now it also comes bolt-on. I was thinking of getting an old-stock neck-thru Tremor, but as I played many basses with EMG-HZ hambuckers and didn't like them much and I was looking for Gravity sound I decided to get another (and I absolutely prefer the sound of FGI J pickups). The string spacing is almost the same as my Stingray 5 (not too narrow but certainly not too wide). I prefer this medium spacing. I definitely don't like very wide string spacing (although I have big hands). I will measure it and tell you. For me it's comfortable (and I do a lot of slapping and popping -even on the D and A strings- with no problem).

ANDRUCA