Buying my stingray tonight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Fell in love with it at the store and had to have it. Brand new, Maple neck, 3 band eq, amber finish, surprisingly lightweight... its not a great deal (1100 w/case... you can generally talk anyone down to that) but I just had to have it.. will post pics as soon as i can even though you probably all know what it looks like by now.
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    $1100 is a good deal for a brand new Ray.. Congrats man. post some pics
  3. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Congrats!!! Same thing happened to me in December. I played and fell in love with a Burnt Apple Stingray ('cept mine has rosewood fingerboard) and I didn't buy it right away. The next night I couldn't get it out of my mind and decided that I would go buy it after work the next day. I was terrified it was gonna be gone when I got there after work. Well, I was lucky and I am now the proud owner. You're gonna love it. I can't wait to see pics. Never get tired of looking at Rays. You did get a good price. I got mine for exactly $1101.50 w/case, tax included. Congratulations.
  4. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Too much hype on these Rays...don't get me wrong, I owned one and loved it, and I intend to buy a custom 5-string MM copy type deal(Sadowsky of MMs), but god damn.
  5. I'm happy for you! Stingrays are great basses.

They have this funny attack that nothing else can make.
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I have to say, I'm not much for SRs, myself (had my choice of several pre-EB Rays, but opted for the cash instead), but that's just me. If you fell in love with this bass, then I'm happy for you! Nothing is better than finding that one that you just can't resist, then having it all for your own!

And that seems like a pretty good price to me! The local EB dealer will only come off retail by $100, $150 if it's a special order. But they're a**holes, anyways. I would buy outta town before I went there, for sure!
  7. Congrats, i think you got a crackin deal...

over here, stingrays cost like £1100... AAAGGGHHH!! that would take me years to buy, i cant evn consider got a good deal to say the least, hope you two have many happy years together

8. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've had a rather strange relationship with my Ray5. At this present time, I'm BACK in love with it. The only time I ever fall out of love with it, it is always an issue with the 5th string. I've always loved the tone and feel.

I'm currently considering trading my L-2000 for a 4 string Ray, then I'll always be happy.:D(yeah..right)

Oh....and if you want to know what I paid for mine, ask Gard.:)

9. Way to go ImNotGeddy. You will only grow to love it more each day, and, you will never get tired of the sound, never. Mine is Black on Black. At first I wanted another color, but, this child has grown on me. I must post pix. (I've been saying that since dinosuars walked the earth)

Good luck with it. Welcome to the club.

Mike J.
  10. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    congrats man! thats a pretty good deal there.

nice avatar.. i just got that album on vinyl
  11. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    One day I will have a stingray.I may still be a beginner but I LOVE the tone.Actually,I do have enough money right now,but I'd rather save it up for a car or college.

Have fun man,you don't know how jealous I am of you.:D
  12. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    You can not go wrong with The great duo the Stingray5 and L-2000 two of the best production
    Bass's on the Planet !!
  13. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001

Priorities man.... thats what its all about. If college is more important to you, then you aren't a real bass player. Geeze... Just kidding. I know how it is to be a college student buying a bass (my Ray;) ). But its worth it i tell ya...
  14. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    just for the sake of arguement, where the rock are you two getting these prices? Even if you got them without shipping, $1100 is less than anyone's quoting me recently.

Appreciate some direction here!

15. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hey Larry, I got mine at Guitar Center. The tag on it said $1189 (which was already $100 cheaper than anywhere else around me) and I offered the salesman $1050 cash. He said o.k. plus tax. I agreed. The total came to $1101.50. I hear a lot of bad stories about GC, but they are A-ok in my book.
    oh well... im going to take it as some sort of omen... i can probably get a great used one for much cheaper anyway...
  17. Didel

Feb 21, 2002
  18. That's the drag of the week. Don't give up on MM, they are so worth it.

Mike J.
  19. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

Why don't you give the guys at Bass Central a call and see what they can do for you. I purchased my Stingray 5 fretless through them and they were top notch guys to deal with. Once I sealed the deal, it only took 1 week for the bass to ship across the country (Florida to Seattle).

I would agree that the Stingray is worth waiting for.

Best Wishes,
  20. Sorry about it being sold, but try MF (no samash; $200 more:()
    I have a similar experience. GC is a tad slow on the draw when it comes to MM.

I'm gonna order a Ray 5 from musician's friend.

The problem is you can't try it before hand. I don't think that would be a problem with MM.