1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying new bass soon.. need some help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by makanudo, Oct 17, 2009.

1. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    November to be exact so i still have plenty of time to think about it, but i wanna have some idea of what to look for, my budget is around 500 bucks, but my dad is willing to help me if i need to go over that price.

Like 2 weeks ago i visited guitar center and played this Ibanez Sr700 and really liked it, but its 700 bucks so i dont know if i'll buy it.

Anyway i was just looking for opinions on good basses around that $500-700 range or some input on what to look for.

I mainly play rock and metal.. thanks:)

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you like the SR700 why not find a used one?

3. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    i havent found a used one in tucson =/

4. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    bump?

5. and none of these are mine! Im in wisconsin!

6. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    yeah i saw those the other day
    thank you tho!

7. yeah...I really want that 6er!!! If that was in wisconsin, I'd be playing it right now. they go for 550 here...

8. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    Personally, if I were shopping for a bass in teh price range you are talking about I would be looking at the Peavey Cirrus BXP 5 string. A really nice bass, and for my money very hard to beat in the Sub $1000 range.

9. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    any idea if they are available at guitar center?

10. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    4 or 5 string?

For starters, try looking in the classifieds here. If you have a $500+ budget, you can do really well in the used market.

As far as new basses are concerned: you might want to check out a Traben Chaos Core. The Whiskey Burl colored model is going for $549 through Amazon.com. So its a little over your budget but if Dad can pick up the diff, those are supposedly excellent basses for what you're playing.
    Also-check out the new Warwick Rockbass line. I understand the new ones are significantly better than the previous ones. And those should be available at your local GC.

11. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Epiphone Jack Casady signature basses are amazing and sorta in that price range... especially if you buy used.
    Not sure how it would fare in certain genres though; what kinda music do you play?