Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying new Warwick...Need Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ModulusMaster, Apr 22, 2002.

1. hey guys,

I've finally convinced myself about buying a warwick corvette 5 string. My question to you guys is i heard that the 5 and 6 string models are way unballanced. Do any of you know of this rumor is un-tru or do any of you have advice on other warwick models to buy or consider? I would be playing mostly hard rock and jazz.....so i would like something that is pretty well rounded too.....thanks for the help guys,

Matt

2. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    All Warwicks have a neck dive.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Except my Streamer Stage I. I'd better send it in and see why there is no dive.
    Doc

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    or my SSII.

the streamer body, along with the discontinued fortress, the dolphin, and the infinity don't have neck dive.

the corvette does a little bit, and the thumb does alot. i'd worry about it with a 6, but a 5 may not be so bad.

id go with a streamer though - you can get all of the corvettes except the FNA in streamer bodystyle.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Corvettes are fairly well balanced. They have a little neck dive, but nothing like a Thumb.

All Warwicks have neck dive? Hum... I've played a couple of Dolphins, and they were very well balanced.

The Streamer Stage I and II's that I've had the pleasure of playing were pretty well balanced, too. Not perfect, but better than a lot of other production basses.

6. Ahh but the streamer is soooooo ugly :-/

7. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Except mine. I'd better send it in and see why mine isn't ugly!! :)
    doc

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Personally, I really like the Thumb...Neck dive or not, the Tone more than makes up for it. I fint the bolt on Thumbs to have less dive than the NTs, but still a bit of dive.

And if I could ever find a bloomin' Dolphin, I'd love to see how those things work out...

9. Landline

Landline Guest

Jan 14, 2001
    Hrmmm... haven't noticed much in the way of neck-dive with my Infinity. But yeah, I too have been forewarned about the Thumb headstock's suicidal tendencies :p

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I used to own a Corvette FNA 4, and that was very well balanced. I have played a couple of 5ers, and they didn't have much of a problem with neck diving. Nothing like the Thumb.

And I wouldn't say that all Warwicks neck dive.

11. 2 Dolphins

1 Infinity

0 neck dives

12. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    This is ugly?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I Think Not!;)

13. Streamers are ugly ? *** ?!!?!!

** grabs out a large axe and chases ModulusMaster whilst expressing vulgair language ** [​IMG]

you're [​IMG] ! Streamers are beautyfull [​IMG]

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    to me they are ugly....sorry!

15. ** after having brutally slayed ModulusMaster, the raging AllodoX continues his inquisition on Barroso **

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    armed with his mighty mapleglo rickenbacker, barroso is ready to defend himself from the terrible menace of Sir Allodox!! the earth is shaking!!!

17. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My Corvette Standard 5 had neck dive, mainly I think because of the wenge neck. These days I think the necks are made out of the lighter ovangkol. My main beef with my Corvette Standard was its weight. I think this varies from bass to bass.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm sorry...but the only designs of Warwick I like are the Thumb, Dolphin, and Infinity LTDs (Semi-hollow ones, if I got that model wrong)...I consider all the rest a little fugly myself.

19. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Always seems like I'm a minority with this opinion, but you owe it to yourself to check out the corvette proline. No dive and way way better sound than the standard. In fact, better than many other warwick models (oh my gosh, did I type that out loud!!??)

20. Funny..

correct me if i'm wrong, but..

The proline has maple, where the normal corvette has bubinga, which is way heavier than maple..

the bodyshape is 100 % the same.. so the proline must have more neckdive in fact..

the only further difference between the proline and the normal corvette's is the preamp and the pickups..