1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

buying "off the wall"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by air_leech, Mar 8, 2010.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey,

I've been thinking of giving another try to the Jazz Bass (I'm a P guy) and been looking into the '62 American Vintage model.

theres a '62 RI Jazz in the colour I want hanging on the wall at the flagship store of the local Fender distributer, I think it's been there about a year but it looks mint and is very nice.

I can either take the one they got there or they'll order me a brand new one for the same price.
    while this seems like a no-brainer I'm not sure whether to take the display bass and never look back or wait a couple of weeks/months for a new one but risk that it somehow feels/plays/sounds lesser to me than the one they got there.

what is the general consensus?

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Hanging there is not going to hurt it.

If there's no damage to it, and you like it, buy it.

3. i say new one. a lot of really dumb bad players (including noodling guitarists :mad:) play with the display models, dropping it, wearing strings down, fretboard marks, dings in the body/ neck. itd just be smarter to wait a couple weeks. but if u have relly bad GAS go for it it could work out.

4. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    If your hands like it, then I'd say its a winner. The one you considering ordering may feel and play different. I have been where you are with the "new one from the back". you get them to get it out plug it and play it, and the display piece feels and plays better. They are both "new" basses one has just had some wall time.

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    maybe u could get a few bucks off the display model.

6. Are they including a case with either purchase? If not, get em to toss in a case and a pack of strings, or strap for buying the demo. I would get the one you have played and know you are happy with

7. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    +1 to a few posts here already... I'd go for the one you've actually played, give it the proper inspection, and I would try to bargain for it as it is a floor/demo model.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Demo models = potential discounts. Money off, or a HSC and new strings are easily negotiated. Ask about the return policy. Take it home, clean it up, set it up, give it a week, and if you don't like it, take it back.

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    thanks peeps :)

they'd give a discount but since my mom is a music teacher I already get a much better discount thats valid in either case.

of course the bass comes with an HSC and all the case candy and they said they'll toss in a free pack of strings for the demo model, thats not the selling point for me.

I'll inspect the bass closely and spend a decent time with it in the store prior to purchasing, maybe even bring my own amp and cab(s) to play through and if it feels like the real deal I'll take it home over a new one fresh from the factory.

10. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    I'd go with the one on the wall. Consistency isn't really Fenders party piece, so if the one on the wall is good and hasn't taken any damage, I wouldn't risk maybe getting a worse one just so you can have the priviledge of tearing off the plastic that covers the pickguard.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have gotten great instruments by 'ordering new' from a store. At least then you know that when it comes in...you are that instrument's only owner...no youngin's pawing all over it.

It's an awesome feeling.

I am going to get a new Precision V and I am going to have to order it because I want it a certain way. There's some risk involved sure, but I think the odds of getting a good instrument are better these days.

I have also bought off the rack and done o.k. Just check the instrument over very carefully. Ask to have it cleaned up and get it under some good lights before committing.

12. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    +1

Exactly what I would say

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020