1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying or Building a Fender MIM Arctic White PBass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 928cat, Oct 25, 2018.

1. 928cat

928cat

Aug 6, 2018
    USA
    I've decided to acquire a MIM Arctic White Precision. Since I'm fairly cheap, I don't want to pay the full price of ~600 for a new one, or 650 for a 2018 Player P.

So I've come up with 3 options to acquire a new one at ~500 or below. Comments from those with experience in any of these options would be appreciated.

1) Purchase one backordered from GC for $499. I've actually already given them my credit card and am waiting. The possible drawback I see is that it may never arrive, as far as I know this is actually a 2017 bass meaning it's no longer made. Possibly receiving a returned floor model. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Standard-Precision-Bass-Guitar-H76529.gc

2) Purchase the on sale Ocean Turquise from GC for $475 plus a genuine Fender Arctic White body for $249. Swap bodies and sell the Ocean Turquoise one for ~200. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Standard-Precision-Bass-Limited-Edition.gc

3) I already have strings, bridge, pick guard, and Nordstrand Pickups. I could put the remainder together from Fender parts for less than $500 with a %10 off deal at eBay now.

2. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Why not get a recent used one in great condition?

Spidey2112 and electracoyote like this.
  3. That would be my choice.

I'm a fan of the contemporary MIM Standards. This most recent incarnation (with the maple board option) first came out around 2009 or so? So from 2009 to 2017 it's literally the same bass and you've got a lot of gently used potential if you search around and have patience.

I own three or four (purchased for road work), both Jazz and Precisions, and I don't think any of them were purchased new. I probably paid $400-$450 on average. Huge bang for the buck, a marked improvement in quality from previous eras.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Spidey2112 and dmt like this.
  4. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Buying used is a great way of doing this. I picked up a minty clean 2016 MIM P bass in January 2017 for about £350 or so. This was in 'unwanted gift' condition, and was white with a rosewood board.

However a used bass can also have cosmetic damage, and on a white bass this can be pretty obvious.

Building your own bass from parts is a great learning experience, and you can pay more attention to detail than the guys in a factory can afford to do. You can also slip with a screwdriver or drop solder onto the finish.

dmt likes this.
  5. 928cat

928cat

Aug 6, 2018
    USA
    I have no problem with used. The primary problem for me buying used is the distance to travel to get to music stores, so checking inventory in person is not easy requiring a full day travel.

I'd be willing to take a chance online if the prices were low enough, but the typical price of used MIM precisions that I'm seeing at ~400 does not seem reasonable given the new bass deals to be found, like the Ocean Turquise for 475. Of coarse, seeing in person makes all the difference, and maybe some of those 400 used Ps are an awesome deal.