Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying passive crossover components

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Petebass, May 19, 2003.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I made a simple passive crossover for my Hi-Fi sub (100Hz, 12dB rolloff) and it worked well enough.

I tried it on my bass rig out of curiosity and it didn't sound crash hot. It actually distorted a little bit. Turns out the Iron core inductors I used aren't suitable for crossovers and I should have used air core.

My problem is this, air core inductors seem to have very small mH values, so I'll need heaps of them to get the desired inductance.

Where can I get large Air core inductors? At present the biggest I can get is only 3mH.

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Try posting this question at AudioAsylum.com in the "Tweakers/DIY" forum. Lots of knowledgeable people there that can give you good advice.

But beware, if you have any interest in hi-fi equipment, you'll be ruined for life.

JD

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
  4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
  5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Is anyone comming to Austalia any time soon? The Partsexpress ones liiked good till I realised the shipping was going to cost more than the components. I'm gonna have to either smuggle em in or find a local product.

6. Wind your own inductors. It is not hard, and precision winding is not required. Only the gauge, diameter and number of turns is important. If you can get access to an inductance measuring tool, all the better.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Hadn't thought of that...... I wonder if my multimeter can measure inductance??? I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

Is there a formula to help determine the guage , diameter and, number of turns?