1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying Power of the Euro

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZonGuy, Sep 6, 2008.

1. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    Was in a vintage guitar shop in Houston playing jazz on my ES-335 and a couple of people came by and checked it out.

One was a journalist from Germany over here to report on the hurricane Gustav in New Orleans. He said the power of the Euro made things over here cheap so he was walking out the door with a Gretsch hollowody guitar.

I guess our Precisions and Jazz's will be more affordable in Europe.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Greed is almost boundless. Do you think most sellers are anxious to lower prices when their costs drop? Gee...I wonder.

3. Well, here in Norway we have the "krone" which has been very strong the last couple of years. For instance, the price of Martin acoustic guitars actually went down last year!!!:eek:
    You'll also get huge discounts on anything Gibson.
    Fender, not so much. I paid $3000 for my AV 62 Precision this summer.:eyebrow:
    Now, the dollar is slightly stronger again.

4. Not really. In the UK, $1 usually= £1 in gear terms, so even when we could get $2 to the £ on the foreign exchange markets an MIA Fender was still round about £1000 ($2000~).

5. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    well, the euro is getting weaker and will as time goes by so it will eventually even out again...

6. DutchDude

DutchDude

Sep 12, 2007
    Prices in europe are high compared to US prices, because of all the taxes we have to pay, but when we go to the US the basses are cheaper, because of the strong euro

7. (Family Fortunes N/A Answer Tone)

Nope.The power of the €uro does NOT give us an advantage over buying anything.At least the Irish anyway where we are quietly famous for high-inflated prices on musical instruments.

Take this Jaguar Bass for example.

This is what it costs in Ireland.

http://waltons.ie/waltonsshop/product_info.php?cPath=60_62&products_id=10761

€1199 = $1,711.21

From my saviour Thomann,where it is €340 cheaper and is accessible to me through their site.

€859 = $1,225.96

And on the other side....

http://www.music123.com/Fender-Jaguar-Electric-Bass-Guitar-511959-i1147460.Music123

$749.99 = €525.49

Even with shiping,Irish people would still be paying up to €1000 more for their bass.Power of the €uro? What power? haha

Thank God for Thomann.

8. On the other hand, when us european guys move to the US, it IS very interesting. The used G&L SB-2 I just bought cost me 520€ (750$) whereas in France it could easily have been around 1000€

9. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    The poor dollar/euro conversion means Im not getting that ACG.

10. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi
    ACG basses are priced in pounds not euros if that helps any.
    Cheers
    Alan

11. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Of course! What was i thinking? But wait....dollars to pounds....that's even worse
    :bawl:

on side note: I had a whole bunch of pounds marked bank of scotland....went to an exchange and the teller told me they couldnt accept "scottish money." who knew?;)

12. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

Actually, the best way to get advantage of the conversion is have a buddy in the states ship you gear. I'm not suggesting to doctor the customs forms, but I've been told that "bass guitar for spare parts" as item description will get the stuff there without paying VAT.

13. The teller was incorrect!! Scottish money is completely legal tender in any of the UK stores or banks. The notes are clearly marked "Pounds Sterling".

I use Scottish notes whenever I am in England just to see how many halfwits say "we can't accept this". Always nice clarifying the matter, and having them go back on their initial narrow minded assertions. hahahahah

Anyhow, as for the prices - the USA is bargain city for us Europeans. Our prices, as stated previously, are vastly inflated. When we buy something in the States and bring it back to the UK, we have to pay the following:

Import tax - paid on the value of the goods PLUS the shipping cost!!

Then, we have to pay an additional 17.5% on the total value of the goods plus shipping, with the import tax added on!!!

So we end up paying tax on the tax we have already paid!

Even with the overall added levy (which amounts to around 20%-25% of the overall cost, in many instances it is still cheaper than buying form UK stores.

14. just being curious....but what is a "normal" salary or pay rate in Europe? In the USA we have a minimum wage which (i think) is $6.75 per hour for working at many (no offense) lower end types of jobs (fast food, retail, some labor intensive work).

Is your pay rate higher in some cases thereby you pay more for goods and get killed in taxes?

please educate me, I need it.

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Minimum wage in the UK is approx $11USD/hour. Also, Fender and some others (looking at you, Rickenbacker) make their dealers hold prices here higher than those in the US.

16. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    yeah. I always buy from the Usa or Germany. There is just too much to save, versus here in Norway. The low dollar isnt bad either :p

17. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    my dad is in miami(with the navy) and if I'm lucky and he finds a nice one, I'm getting a Fender P-bass... well I have to pay for it, but he's bringing it...

instead of paying 1200 euro's, I'm paying a little of 700... you can hardly buy them second hand for that kinda cash around here...

18. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    atleast, here in Norway, we dont have any rights to a minimal salary, but there is "guidelines" to what you will get. I am 17 years old, and I worked at a grocery-shop for about 18$ an hour, thats normal salary for a 17 year old.

19. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    norway is insane, hahaha.
    over here in germany i don't think we have minimum salary either but i would say you get from 10$ per hour upward.