1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying/Renting Upright Bass

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by VirgilTheGreat, Dec 20, 2011.

1. VirgilTheGreat

VirgilTheGreat

May 5, 2008
    DFW
    Hey Professor Seaton,

I live in the Dallas area and I'm looking for a place to buy or rent an upright bass. Do you have any suggestions?

2. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Hi,
    A quick search of the internet brought up a couple of places in Dallas that rent basses. I have not used either of them, but here they are.
    https://www.dallasstrings.com/pages/public_rentals.asp
    Cadenza Violins
    There is not a large bass shop in Dallas to go look at basses. The nearest big shops are KC Strings in Kansas City
    K.C. Strings Violin Shop - Crafting world class instruments in the heart of America.
    and Robertson and Sons in Albuquerque
    Robertson and Sons Violin Shop, Inc. - Home

There are also many basses for sale on the Talk Bass Website
    Double Bass Classifieds - TalkBass Forums

Joel MacMillan is a bass repairman in Denton at UNT and he occasionally has basses for sale
    joel.macmillan@unt.edu / 940-369-7968
    Good Luck,

3. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    Lynn, thanks for the plug! We're working to be that shop you're looking for in the Dallas area! We've recently bought a number of basses to make available to Jeff and Gudrun's kids in the Bass and Cello Conservatory here. Of course we rent basses too. We have over 300 in our rental inventory. I'm a bassist and a luthier as well. I think were here for the conservatory recently. I must have missed you. If you're coming this way again I'd love to chat with you! :D

Edit: By the way we launched our new website just a couple weeks ago.