Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buying second amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Southpaw47, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Southpaw47

Southpaw47

Apr 18, 2005
    I'm probably gonna get a lot of crap from this, but here goes.
    I'm a newb to the forums, and half a newb to playing bass (been playin for 2 years, no lessons, no major helpful knowledge.) I am looking to buy a new bass amp in the price range of $150-$200, maybe $250 -ish. (will be played w/ a squier p-bass) I am basically asking these questions:
    1. How should wattage affect my choice?
    2. How should speaker size affect?
    3. combos vs. "vertical" vs. building your own
    4. Brands (i've been looking at carvin, behringer :eek: , and fender
    5. the purpose would be for chapel services, and practice.

I think that's all.

-lef-t

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    whats your first amp? What style of music do you play?

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Do you have a combo now? If you have a cab already then this won't be as hard for you but a combo in that range is kinda iffy

4. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Overall, you may want to save up some more. If you're planning on exceeding 100 watts, its going to be hard to do that for 150-200 dollars

5. i'd suggest a peavey half stack, you could probably get a 1x15 cab and a delta bass (160 watt i think) for that range, second hand of course

My personaly preferance for speakers are 10's, but they are usually more expensive

what kind of music do you play ?

6. Southpaw47

Southpaw47

Apr 18, 2005
    praise and worship/ christian rock. possibly jazz next year.. I'm gonna start taking lessons.

-lef-t

7. Southpaw47

Southpaw47

Apr 18, 2005
    ok.. I don't think that really helped. it might have.. but basically.. I started out on a Squier BP-15. that's a whopping 45 watts of raw power! (yeah.. it's lame). I plugged it in the other day and it was buzzing like crazy, so.. yeah. (forgot my point. anyway.. I was looking at these three combo amps:
    - Carvin PB100-10 :
    that's a 100W - 10"
    - Behringer Ultrabass BX600 :
    that's a 60W - w/ line out
    - Behringer Ultrabass BXL900 :
    that's a 90W - 12"

anyway... that's what I'm lookin at. not sure if I need to be looking at that stuff.. lemme know what's good.

-lef-t :bassist:

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd say look at a Fender Bassman or Rumble combo.

9. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Mmmm... That Behringer does look pretty nice, too good to be true, it's not out here (UK) for a few months, but when it is I can get it for £108... It's just what I needed, the BX1200 was a bit too big for my liking, and he EQ wasn't really good enough for a 120 watt amp, but the BXL900 looks pretty nice indeed.