Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying strings for a 5:er tuned eadgc

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Suckbird, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    So i'm thinking about string my ibanez btb405 eadgc instead of beadg, i found the b-string to be a bit weak and floppy...

So do i just buy a 6string pack or what? Or 5 single strings?

2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    There are a few companies that make 5 string EADGC sets. You can also buy a 4-string set and then a single Hi-C. This would be more economical than buying a 6-string set since the hi-c string is usually not that expensive.

3. Agreed.

www.juststrings.com

4. rawgreenbean

rawgreenbean

Dec 27, 2003
    USA
    what alll would i have to adjust on my bass after doing something similar? I'm geussing the neck tension, string height, and sting length. Any words of caution or help.

Also, you may have to go to a pretty good music store to find it. The music store I went to was terrible... he didn't even know 6 string basses existed... although he had one in stock. crazy guy. tried selling me a .120 gauge string, finally understood i wanted higher, so tried selling me a .040 gauge, cuz the G string in the set he was using as a reference was .045. oh well.

Also, does it create a problem to mix brands of strings?

5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Another option is to order strings online. I believe that BassCentral has a pretty good string program.

6. Alternatively you could order some custom sets. I get five string EADGC sets from Fodera (Nickel) and Status Graphite (Steel) in the gauges I want. They cost just a little more per set but this way I get what I want without wasting strings from bigger sets.