Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buying strings for first time

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ace123, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Hey all. I've been playing bass for more than a year and my bass still has on its original strings. I'm thinking it's about time to change them because its been a while. But i know nothing about strings.

I have a sammick bass (its a cheapo until i save up for my fender), i play in a classic rock band but i love to slap. I have four strings. I guess i want low action because its easier for slapping? but not too low because i do finger style the majority of the time. So what strings can you reccommend for me?

Also, my band has a gig in one week. Do i change strings before the gig or do i wait until after the gig? For all you string experts, please help me out!

Thanks!

2. if you want a brighter sounding bass before the gig, switch 'em... as for action, I'd assume that'd have to do with setup....but if you want easier slapping, get thinner gauges...I honestly don't know what your sound preference is because you didn't state anything...

I really like DR High Beams and Fat beams, as well as Smith strings in general..I'm mostly a stainless steel type of person, I like how they're a bit brighter, makes the low end sound really cool in my ears.

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I don't have any recommendations about which strings you should buy, but if you want to change strings before the gig, do it soon, so they have a chance to stretch and settle in.

Also, if you're not familiar with doing setup work on your bass, have a tech at the local store do. Sometimes, when you change strings, the action will change due to different string gauges, and your truss rod may need an adjustment due to different string tension.

You will probably want to check and adjust the truss rod a day or two after installing the new strings.

jd

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you do get a tech from the local shop to change them for you, get them to do it while you watch and take notes - that way, you'll be better placed to deal with routine jobs like that in future.

Wulf