Buying the "2nd" bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acacia, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX

Now that I finally have my bass set up like I want it (took several adjustments--probably due to my lack of experience), I want to get a back-up bass.

I have a Fender American Standard Jazz 4-string and I am absolutely in love with it.

I went to MARS Music and played some other basses, American Series Jazzes included. I just couldn't find anything that felt comparable, but I have that itch to get another bass.

The P-basses (Fender or non-Fender) are really a bit awkward for me to play. Pick-up sits too low to rest my thumb on.

The neck on a Rick feels SWEET,but again, not a real good place to rest my thumb. (I'm a 90% finger player now).

I know the question is purely based on personal preference, but any suggestions?

The one bass that does feel GREAT to me is the Geddy Fender. Nice price too.

Thanx for your time.
  2. SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    Why would you back up a Fender American Standard with a Rickenbacker? Not to dump on the quality of an American Standard, I own one, but a Rick mops the floor with it. And the Geddy bass is in the same price range. If you are itching to get a bass so bad for back up, pick up a fender for 300, an epiphone, or an LTD. And the Rick is a much more friendy instrument to play when you remove the pickjup a cover.

3. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "back up" is probably not the best verbage to use on my part.

But I am getting the itch to own more than one. And the Rick feels GREAT on the neck. Maybe playing one without the pick-up cover would influence me more.

I am gonna do several months of shopping. Thanx
  4. SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    well, in that case i would really suggest a Rickenbacker or a Music Man Stingray. Getting another fender really wouldnt be worth it if you already have an american standard. good luck
  5. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I really wouldnt hold off on any particular bass just because it doesnt have a conviently located thumb rest.You can install one yourself on most any bass in a few minutes.If you like J bass's that much id wait for the 4 string Roscoe Beck which should be out this summer.Others i highly recomend are the Fender P and Epi Casady bass.I have both and love them.Also have the RB-5.I had a 75 Rick 4001 i bought brand new way back then.I sold it for a grand a week after getting the Casady.I guess that says more of what i think of this bass than anything else i could add.Good luck!
  6. SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    whoah a four sting roscoe beck would kick some major ass, also check out the Fender Stu Hamm Urge bass. That is a one of the most versatile instruments i have ever played.
  7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Hasn't Fender been teasing bass players with the idea of a Roscoe Beck 4-string for quite some time?
  8. I play a 5 string. When I get another bass, it will be a 4. Why don't you get a 5 (or 6)? I don't know what type of music you play, but the extended range would give you a little more versatility.

IMHO. Good luck and happy shopping. I got a kid going into college soon, so my G.A.S. days are OVA' !!!

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm in the boat with amebassplaya here, at least in theory.

When I finally got my first "real" bass, a pre-CBS Precis, the next one I bought was a Rick 4001 because it gave me timbres, tones, and other sonic qualities the Fender P couldn't and vice-versa. Last winter, I bought my first 5. Each offers something the other doesn't.

So, why not get something that is distinctly different? Perhaps something that will take you out of your comfort zone with that narrow Jazz neck and challenge you? If you get something similar to your Jazz, I'll bet dollars to donuts you'll be bored with it.
  10. i agree. get something that sounds different. you can still use it as a backup in a pinch, but it could be your main bass for songs that need a different tone.
  11. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I doubt I will get a 5 string, cuz I doubt that I'l ever "need" on.

As it stands, I am only doing 80s metal covers. A detuner for my e-string is the only thing I should need to get some of the tuned down notes that I want.

Whoa Silver! :D I am challeneged enough just learning this damned thing as it is! I have about 9 short months of experience thus far. But you are right, getting something non-Jazz style would surely expand my playing. The shop where I bought my Jazz has a Fender American Standard P with the same finish as my jazz. Maybe I'll pluck around on it and see. Would be kinda cool to have that finish on a few different basses. And yes, the finish was one of the deciding factors on buying the one I bought in the first place. It felt right to play, and it really "felt" right to hold and ogle over. ;):D

Thanx folks.