Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying untried gear. Epifani/Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ozbass, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Hi Guys...1st poster here!
    Living down here in Aus, I don't get to see/hear as much gear as I'd like.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Eden metro.
    I'm considering 2 amps;
    1: Aguilar DB750
    2;Epifani UL502 (not many reviews around)

I will probably go for an Epifani UL Cab....310 or 410.

As I said, I will be buying based on research on the 'Net, other peoples' experiences and reviews
    Any observations for and against each amp and their sounds would be gratefully received.

Cheers!
    :help:

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I love aguilar gear. You won't have the headroom but, the Epifani is one great sounding amp and it is light. If I had to have one amp for everything. I would recommend the aguilar. Lots of clean power and great tone. The 502 is on my G.A.S. list. It is probably the most natural sounding amp around. No "signature" tone... Just your bass amplified. No color at all.

Aguilars have their tone and are great units and depending on what you are doing what determine the decision. If it is for smaller gigs... consider the 502. Big gigs... definitely the DB750

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i tried the epifani amp heads. honestly, they sounded really good, but i wasn't blown away. great tone, but not "wow i have to get this or die!" tone. Not that it was any worse than the other heads in that wattage range, just not head and shoulders above them.

The DB750 does nto contain my favorite preamp of all time, but it's a darned good one. What made me jump was the power that thing has. If i didnt already own a preamp and poweramp, i would have bought one. I still plan to get one some day.

anyhow, please see if you can try these out for yourself. we can tell you a bit, but it's like telling you what flavor of ice cream you'll like over the phone when you're standing in line at the ice cream shop and we're at home eating pizza. ;)

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What part of Australia are you from? If you're from Sydney, the Bass Player at Annandale is a Epifani dealer. Might be worth looking into.

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    What do you want the amp to do, what tones (music) do you like, what features do you want? These two amps are very different from each other.

6. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Thanks
    I'm in South Aus....a couple of hours flight from Sydney.
    I am aware of the dealer in Sydney......but it's cheaper to buy from US, even after shipping etc

Cheers

7. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Hi
    Tones? a nice fat sound, but with snappy highs.
    Need a "jack of all trades really"as I play many different styles...jazz, pop/rock, disco, funk rock etc.
    Venues range from small pubs to larger corporate type gigs.

Would like it to be capable of filling a room on those occasions I don't DI thru the PA.

The weight of the Epi amp/cabs attracts me...my Eden Metro is a heavy little sucker!

There are lots of comments re the Aguilar's weight but I loved the tone when heard it a while back and, at c40 lbs, its still way less than half the weight of the metro

Thanks

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    The pros and cons;

epi 502ul,
    tight and can get real deep but not quite tubey. All EQ settings are usable, you can turn and twist and allways have a good tone. It will do 600 watts @ 4ohms and can get loud but not rockin loud. Its small enough so you could use it as a preamp (same weight as the db680 pre). It has two ch so you can use two basses or have to set ch for the same bass, great if you go back and forth between finger and slap.

DB750,
    proven track record. Great tone but always has the "aggy" tone. The deep switch is very useable. Has a jenson DI. Loud and solid tone. Can be run at 2 ohms so you can use two 4 ohm cabs if you want.

Both heads sound great with epi cabs. From the music you play I think the 502 would be a better match. Having said that, since you dont DI and want to fill a room, you might want to look at running two cabs (410/212, 210/115). I have epi, berg and aguilar cabs and none of their single cabs that Ive tried work for me filling a room. Most of the time I use a 410 and 212. The Db750 will run two cabs with plenty of power. The 502 will as well but you would have to use it as a pre or power one cab and use a power amp to run the other.

as always, jmo

9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Yep. That's the route I took. And I ended up getting a good deal that worked out a teenie bit more expensive than getting one from the US (410UL). Well worth it.

By the way. I LOVE that picture of Poita. I can't beleive he went on to become the Hulk.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cant really add much more than to what's been said, but my two cents...

the UL502 sounds GREAT with epi cabs. they were made for each other, and thus sound perfect with one another. also, the "mid cut" knob on the first channel gives you a pseudo NYC cab sound. deep, and yet still very articulate. takes out some of those extra upper mids the UL series cabs have.

with that said, the fact that the DI isnt protected ala a Jensen circuit does concern me, and thus far, i've been using a regular DI box in front to keep my Quest II preamp from being fried.

the DB750 is a pretty awesome head, too. big fat Aguilar sound, and yet tighter than a drum low end with massive punch from that extra wattage. course, its MASSIVE to carry. still, recently tried a 750 w/ an Epi NYC 310, and the tone was OFF THE SCALE!

11. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Thanks All
    I think I'm gonna order the Epifani ul502 plus the Epifani ul310.....
    I appreciate they are probabaly totally different beasts, but I hope this setup gives me a fatter, louder rig than my currrent Eden Metro, and also more portable!

Just out of interest, the Aguilar db750(used but as new)is on offer to me at US$1500 delivered to Aus.....$1650 if I have to pay taxes....a reasonable price?

Cheers Guys

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sounds pretty gooder to me.

but, wow, that's gonna be some all Epi ass kickin'... :bassist:

again, with the mid cut, you'll have a sense of a fatter deeper rounder feel with those lack of mids. while its the "slap" setting, for moi, its the "joker happy" tone. :D

13. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Yes, nice rig! Enjoy!

14. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I own a few of the epi cabs. I used my friends 310UL for a
    few gigs last weekend. GREAT BOX!! One of the best single
    speaker boxes I've ever used. I don't know what your volume
    needs are, but if the 310UL is big enough, I think you would be very happy.

15. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Hi Guys
    Not taken the final plunge yet...
    I was under the impression that the 310 ul was rated at 4ohms and the 502 would give me 600watts into this.
    I just rang Epifani the guy there said they were 5.3ohms....he wasn't able to tell me what difference this made to the 502's output.

This has made me wonder about going with the 410ul 4ohm to give me the full 600W.....is this sufficiciant power for the Epi 410?
    And do you think it will give me anything extra over and above the 310 to justify the extra bulk/weight ?

Cheers

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Don't panic. Lets do the math.

Typically changing loads from 4 Ohm to 8 Ohm yields a 30% drop in power. So 600W at 4 ohm equates to 420W at 8 ohms.

For 5.3 Ohms, just split the difference. Your amp will put out aprox 510 watts.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    like my mulleted friend said, i wouldnt panic,

and IMHO, there shouldnt be too much a diff. but keep in mind, the UL310 is much more compact, and by far mucho easier to carry around than the UL410.

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Another post where I'm not sure if you guys realise that's not a pic of me. That's Eric Bana playing a comic character called "Poida" - Aussie redneck pronunciation of Peter.

19. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Like I said, Poida went on to become the Hulk. I find that absurdly hillarious.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ahhh,

unfortunately, my mild mannered friend from the large aussie isle, my mind has already melded the name "Petebass" to that oh-so country fried mullet. :p :D