Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying Used Basses online

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by King David, Jan 23, 2003.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I am a little leary of buying over ebay. What are some online places to buy used basses?

I know of:
    Bass Northwest
    www.bassnw.com

Bass Central
    www.basscentral.com

Are there any other good places?

2. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    These guys sell all of their used bases on Ebay. They are trustworthy and occassionally have some nice stuff. Click on "Used Bases" then on "See all of our Ebay Auctions" or something like that:

http://www.thebassplace.com

3. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I Just bought my New Modulus Q5 from them and they had the best price I could find.. :)

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    what are you looking for used?? i have a couple of things coming in that may interest you- peace!- A,

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    the bass palace sells stuff online (basspalace.com)...check bassgear.com, bassalone.com, gguitars.com. there are quite a few. check out bassically.net and go to the cool links section....scroll down to "shops." lots of stuff...

6. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Another vouch for Bass Gear, and Talk Bass' own classified forums, i've done alot of selling/buying via these methods and i've not been burned yet. Most guys are trustworthy :)

7. I bought my `98 MIA P bass(nm cond.) from

www.basspalace.com and am 110% satisfied! :)
    check them out!

8. I just got my Roscoe yesterday from a deal I made on bassgear.com. I've done a lot of buying/selling/trading via that board, and harmony-central.com/Bass has a good classified section too.

As far as stores go, BassNorthWest has the best online prices I've seen for used basses, and planetebass.com is a guy who is a modulus/lakeland/zon online dealer here in my home town of Maple Grove, MN. He's been really good about answering my questions but I've never bought anything from him.

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Theres a lot of us dealer's around and the classifieds are pretty trust worthy.

Good luck with your search,

10. www.superbass.net is a decent, new place for used (and new) basses. If you have questions about anything on the site, just send me a PM. I can help you get a good deal.:)

11. thebassplace.com has a few enemies...ask Steve "Dude" Barr...he's said he once got toasted good by those guys, and refuses to do business with them again.
    bassnw.com is great...Evan's good people. Same for Bass Central...I had to pull out of a deal with them last year after sending a deposit, and they were disappointed but very cool about it, and refunded my money very quickly.
    basspalace.com is consistently overpriced, and the recent addition of guitars to their inventory leads me to believe things aren't going so well for them.
    bassalone.com has nice stuff too, and often has really good deals.
    thelowend.net caters to the snob crowd, myself included, but Brian seems like a cool cat.
    As far as person-to-person sales go, I would insist on COD, so they can't disappear with your cash, and they know you can't walk away with their bass without paying first, preferably through the Post Office.
    Filing an insurance claim is a nightmare, but the service is excellent and the price dogs most or all the privately-owned shippers out there.
    Avoid Mailboxes, Etc. like the plague. They will charge you an arm and a leg for no real reason if they can get away with it.
    Pay for the insurance. It's worth it.
    Tracking numbers are very useful, especially when dealing with UPS, who often bounce packages around the continent for no apparent reason.
    And don't be afraid to ask lots of questions...
    KFS

12. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I am looking very heavily at a G&L 2500 (I have not made a final decision). I hope to play one at a local dealer this weekend. If they are anything like I have heard, they must be the lick! I just hate to pay full price when I can find a gently used one for A LOT cheaper! They had one at BassNW, but it looks like it was sold. Bass Central has a fretless one at a good price, but my technique is not that precise.

13. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Having bought (and sold) quite a few things through eBay, I can say that I would only worry about buying things that can't be shipped or returned easily (like heavy speaker cabs).

I just bought a brand-spankin' new 2002 StingRay 4 unlined fretless in transparent gold/matching head/3eq from a guy in OK (try and find *that* in a store). He had good feedback, and it arrived exactly as he described, with the factory plastic protection still on it. I'm getting a new black pearl pickguard from Bass Central to replace the stock black one. The only problem was that I kind of felt bad that he had to sell it in the first place--it's a beautiful instrument! At least he got a decent price on it.

On the other hand, I got burned severely on a Trace Elliot 1248H 4x12 bass cabinet (110 lbs.+ shipping weight) by a guy in CA. Fortunately, the V-Type head I got with it arrived in relatively working condition. Although its cosmetic shape was horrendous, replacing a few parts ($20) from Trace Elliot was all that was required to make an amp that works 100%, even if it looks a bit beat up. The cab on the other, had a torn speaker and several cracks. I'll probably end up turning it into a 2x12, or maybe I'll get a replacement speaker from TE and build a new plywood 4x12 cab or 2-2x12's.

Overall, check out the feedback. Avoid buying things from people with only a few (or no) feedback reviews. Even if you think you'll never find it again, on eBay, it will usually reappear. Also, you will find many dealers on eBay who are actually authorized dealers of the equipment they are selling. Most people on eBay are nice, normal people who wouldn't screw a fellow musician, but there are some stinkers out there.

14. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I might consider buying used gear from a reputable dealer through eBay, but I think I'd be pretty leery about doing it from a private party.

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    If you were looking for Benevente (and not a G&L)... you know Brian Barrett (the low end guy) is the man with a plan.... real cool guy and knows his sh!t.... I got the chance to meet him at NAMM Nashvegas July 2002 and he had a couple Beneventes on him... BUT you are looking for G&L, so, I don't know....:D

16. Elderly Instruments (www.elderly.com) has a pretty decent selection of used and vintage basses, and the prices seem decent as well.

17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've seen many many deals through eBay and other online services go very smoothly, but I have heard of a handful that have gone bad.

No matter who you are dealing with, be cautious. Ask lots of questions. Get to know who you are dealing with before you send them the money. Also, if you can pay them by credit card, then you can involve your credit card company if things go bad. Personally, I like to pay using a credit through PayPal. I don't like handing my credit card numbers to just anyone, but I do like the idea that I can call question to the transaction if I don't get what I bargained for.

Best of luck on your search.

18. tjoTim

tjoTim

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio, U.S.A
    It's probably wrong -- but safe -- to automatically dismiss eBay as bad. It would also be wrong -- and not so safe -- to automatically assume that online other than eBay is good. It's best to evaluate the seller rather than the online venue they're using to sell instruments. As far as online retail operations, I've had positive experiences with Elderly Instruments and superbass.net, Bass Central, and Corner Music.

I see some other familiar names in this thread too, but I don't plug or buy from online businesses that fail to answer email consistently.

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    xyllion - you're a little closer to this than most of the rest. What's your opinion on escrow services? Are there any you can recommend?

(P.S. - and check your PMs, will ya' already??? :) )

20. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I just received my third "Ebay" bass. All were fantastic.

There's no problem so long as you are careful and can walk away from the questionables. Be sure the feedback is both good and extensive; use paypal or another escrow service, only choose items with extensive and clear pics so there are no surprises; correspond with the seller with questions - if they're good, they'll be happy to chat and answer questions.