1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying used - Quick opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Goatman, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Goatman

Goatman

Aug 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Hey guys, I'm all set to buy from pedals tomorrow from this guy on craigslist. I tried out a bunch and fell in love with these:

Boss Phase Shifter
    Boss SYB-5 (brand new)
    Big Muff - the green sovtek one

So the guy wants $380 for the three pedals, and I'm thinking that's a pretty fair price (considering the green muff is kinda rare and sounds amazing) but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys. These are going to be all new effects in my collection. Am I getting a fair deal?

2. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    If you want them bad enough and think its a fair price then I assume you have answered your own question.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  4. I'd wanna demo that Muff before you buy - if possible.
    Muffs are known for their poor low end and sometimes an inability to cut through the mix (mid scoop tone) ...... sold mine because of it.

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    This is the guy in Sili Valley who regularly has a bunch of pedals for sale?
    I went to see him - didn't do business.
    Think about it - if he's continually buying and selling pedals, he's not likely to be selling at the best prices.
    I picked up the gear I wanted, significantly cheaper.
    That's my .02

6. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    that price for those 3 pedals sounds a bit high to me.

TB classifieds is a great place to pick up used pedals...and 99% of the people you will do business with here are fair a honest to deal with...IME

7. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Quoted for truth. That's a horrible price; it's as if he's trying to sell you three new pedals.

8. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    very expensive,
    but good choice in pedals.
    except possibly the harsh digitalness of the syb-5... have you considered a EHX bass micro synth? For that price you could afford it and it would rock the syb-5

9. Goatman

Goatman

Aug 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I tried the regular micro synth (meant for guitar) and it sounded way fuzzy and, quite honestly, not robotic enough for what I was looking for (blasphemy, I know). I'm gonna print out those ebay pages and bring em with me today, :p

*UPDATE - After doing more price-searching, I decided to pass on the offer. Thanks for the advice, guys.