1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying vintage pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by carved czech, Oct 25, 2006.

1. I have now a possibility to buy old genuine 1962 vintage Fender Jazz Bass pickups, no reissue, from Ebay.The seller seems to be solid, with a lot of posssitive feedback. I am worry about getting some more hum from that pickups after replacement, due to be NOT reverse wounded (?). Now I have new Fenders Original Jazz Bass aftermarket pickups - reissue - in my 1968 old Jazz Bass, which are O.K., but I think could be better. I don´t wanna make a mistake! Can anybody advise?

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

If you're looking for new pickups, I'd suggest you buy a pair of Fender Noisless Jazz pups. They sound awsome and work as advertised.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

anytime you buy vintage/classic/antique anything you better know your stuff or know someone who does. I've seen such 60's Fender J's go for over $600 lately and none really under $200 (sometimes just one pup). If the prices bid aren't in that ballpark, then those in the know aren't buying it.

I don't think I've ever seen a vintage pair advertised as '62 specifically so that's odd immediately since Fender's standard aftermarkets are '62 vintage pups. Old pups like that can quit at any time (if I bought such a pair, I'd stick them in safe keeping not in the bass for that reason) and many of them have been rewound already - by who, who knows other than what the seller tells you or can prove. Rewinds are going up in value as well but at some point there basically won't be any originals left and that would make them worth some serious coin.

If they're being sold from the US, obviously there are plenty of George Bush's here so I would be leary. Plus, I wouldn't sell a set of high dollar pups out of the country to someone I didn't know cause there's no secure payment from out of the country that I'm aware of. And I'd wonder about anyone who did.

They're singles so yeh they're going to hum in all probability. You can buy any late model Fenders (and many other makers) used for about $70 that don't hum.

4. Thank you, Luknfur. I will forget my idea about it. Honestly said, I was warned against buying on Ebay. These 1962 pus were available on USA Ebay for 1200,-USD and moreover the seller gave me no reply to my technical questions... CC.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    At the top of the Amp Classifieds forum there is an internet buying thread and I would read it from beginning to end before venturing onto ebay.

There's nothing wrong with ebay, it's really a fabulous thing, and they do a great job of running it for the most part.

People are people, most are decent, but everybody has a bad day sometime, there are undesireables, and there are new ebayers that join just to take as much as they can as quick as they can and guys exiting are just as dangerous. Ebay really makes no effort to monitor such people, they delete any indication of the occurrence after the fact, and they don't make public any data regarding the frequencies and damage done by such people. I myself know of several such occurrences so my guess is they are a commonplace on ebay.

$1200 is way overpriced for today anyway. The only pup I recall bringing that kind of coin is old Rick horseshoes.

If you're willing to pay that, you can contact the major vintage dealers (Gruhan [sp?], Elderly, etc.) and maybe pick up a set for that. Steve Barr at Vintage Bass Trading Company may be able to steer you onto some at a better price. I'd bet you could hunt some down from a reputable source for that money. That guy on ebay may have been legit but with rare exception I don't bid on anything I don't get a response to question on. Even power sellers will respond to a question and they're among the worst to deal with.

6. Great advise, Luknfur.I must admire your knowledge.Excuse my poor english.CC.

7. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Are you after tone? That old stuff varied wildly from one bass to another. If you just want vintage tone you can get new stuff that will consistently recreate the sound of good old pickups and not crappy old ones. Aero is a favorite of mine for that, their type 1 single coils sound very vintage to my ears. Seymour Duncan has a few models with good reviews and there are a bunch of others.

Mojo you have to pay extra for :)

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Get some Fralins instead, and buy a car with the money you save.

9. Giraffe

Giraffe Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, California
    Penguin makes an excellent point, as the devices they used to wind those (hopefully) vintage pickups were woefully inaccurate. You might get hot, you might blah, you might get sublime. It's like tossing a coin with five or six sides.

Unless you have "original, vintage" at the top of your list of priorities, Fralins, Duncan Antiquities, or offerings from many other makers will consistently sound tremendous. Once the solder joints are broken, the heavy hitters who drive vintage prices don't care much for your instrument anyway, so you might as well make it sound great. Take the change and buy your girlfriend a piece of jewelry. I think you will be glad you did!

10. My big thanks to Penguin, Tombrien, and others. Now I see that new pickups are reliable, and can also sound "vitage". The old stuff is obviously more as an history artefact. I don´t wanna blow some (very old vintage) pickup on my bass when playing on the stage...

11. in fact you could almost say its like rolling a dice;)

12. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Or a coin with a head, tail, 2 arms, and 2 legs.

13. After I went through Fender Original Pus,Fender Custom, Duncan Antiquity, on my old jazz bass (original pus went gone long before) - a really hard finding the sound torture,
    I eventually got risky and have bought a pair of old "vintage" ´71 Fender jazz bass pickups from Ebay (a seller with great feedback). These pickups are sooo sweat!
    I am in a different world with them. Even they are microphonic, they are giving the "true Fender sound" of my instrument with surprisingly low hum.There is not much lows and highs, but the mids. The tone is very nice ballanced on all strings. My old flat strings alived with them.Rustle on all pots of the bass is away now (can´t explain why?), reasonant peak is so good, so I am able to cope with less volume settings on my amp. The most I like is the way how amp´s EQ section is working together with pus: There is always present "that sound" in every EQ setting.No matter if I play with a pick or with fingers, the tone is pregnant and concrete compared to all previous pus I used.
    I play bass for 41 years now, and I would recommend these old pus before all aftermarkets.