Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzy sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by terms bassist, Sep 2, 2001.

1. when I take my hand's of my strings my bass makes this funy busy sound, sort of like a soft distortion, is this my pickups?. I always hear people talking about having noisy pickups, is this what they mean?.

2. You're issue's grounding. It stops when you touch the strings, because your hands act as a ground.

I've found the most common problem to be bad outlets. Try plugging your bass into different outlets in different places.

If that doesn't work, the grounding wire from your electronics to your bridge may be busted. I wouldn't take off your bridge unless someone else here says otherwise. (I don't know much about that stuff.)

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
  4. I've found Luthiers to be a complete ripoff.

With what they charge, you might as well buy a new bass.

5. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    What Davy0 said in both cases. You are experiencing 60 hz hum from your electrical line. Grounding or shielding will help. Check all your grounds and solder joints and you can shield your control cavity with shielding paint if it has not been done already. All this will help. Also check your outlets for proper grounding. You can be a checker at any hardware store for a couple bucks. A bad cord (broken ground) is also a possible culprit.

Lastly if you have single coil pickups in your bass they are always going to tend to be a bit noisey. As a last resort you can consider noiseless or stacked coils pickups. Check all the other possibilities first though.

As far as Luthiers go, you have realize these guys need to charge about $60.00 to make it in business. It pays to learn how to do the basic stuff yourself. (ie. soldering and setup)