Buzz 14th fret .. helppp

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., Jul 20, 2002.

1. just got my new bass in the mail yesterday, Essex BG-105... wow, it seems like a realllyy nicee bass, havent had the chance to plug in, my rigs at drummers house... but i've been playing it unplugged

the only thing i can tell wrong with it is that on the d string , 14th fret, i get this real bad buzz...

how do i go about adjusting the neck? which way, how many turns? etc...

that seems to be the only fret that buzzes

2. That sounds more like a high fret to me. That is not something that a truss rod adjustment will cure.
  3. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    Not necessarily. It could be that, and it could be something solvable with a simple truss rod adjustment. I'm weary to advise further because truss rod adjustment is tricky and dangerous stuff.

Does the fret look like it is lifted?
  4. get the hex wrench that came with the bass, use the smallest one. and then raise that bridge saddle up a few micronsits should help solve your problem

5. no no its not when i play the D string, the buzzes around the 14th Fret.... its WHEN I PLAY the 14th fret , d string, it buzzes....

thats truss rod right? .. what else could it be..
  6. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    Lex, you have a nice bass, and it Will play the way you want it. I'm just a little hesitant to walk you through the adjustment, because trouble can occur.

Are you sure you don't have a guitar tech at a local music store that would set it up for $20?
    If you do, please go that way.

If not ...

Buzz problems should always be looked at first from the truss rod -- and then afterwards the string height. It's likely your truss rod is too tight.
    Take out the fat allen wrench that came with the guitar, and give the truss rod a QUARTER TURN
    COUNTERCLOCKWISE -- loosening it. Tap on the fretboard up and down with the heel of your hand. Then leave it alone for an hour. Go back to it, and tell us if it still buzzes.

7. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    One more point: if anyone out there can't resist the urge to play with the truss rod - do the adjustments SLOWLY IN QUARTER TURNS. Nothing more. Doing too more in one sitting can cause an instrument implosion! :D :(
    I kid you not.

I sympathize with anyone that has a setup problem and doesn't have a local person to help. It basically sucks - it's very frustrating. I can relate. Anyone out there getting picky with their setup should start reading the guitar building/setup books so that you know how to approach this stuff. There's lots of good information out there - in books, and inside Guitar and Bass Player magazine.
  8. if the truss rod was too tight there would be hump in the middle of the neck making the first position buzz and mid position too low and high position too hig. sbassman. i posted a thing on truss rods about 2-3 weeks a go look for it... its a sheet on how to propperly adjust a truss. (not saying you dont but in this case i could very well be either/or or maybe even both.)

Lex, does the fret buzz @ the 14th fret or 15th on up?

If it buzzes @ the 14th fret when you play it that means you need to play closer to the fret. if it buzzes above that just raise the saddle a little bit. I have this problem on both of my basses (low spot on the board i believe or a low/high fret) and all it takes is a little adjustment to the bridge saddle to rid your self of it.

Always look towards the bridge first. never the truss rod.
  9. I repeat my earlier post: it is probably a problem with one fret being too high. I arrive at this conclusion because the instrument only buzzes at one specific fret on one string. My guess is that the one fret needs to be dressed and I would take it to a tech if I were you.
  10. well... right now, its buzzing at the 12th, 13th and 14th fret on the D string
  11. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    if it is just buzzing on the D string in certain area i would raise the D string saddle before truss rod adjustment... good-luck..
  12. Ahhhh, so now it is buzzing at several frets. Earlier you said it only buzzed at the 14th fret. I agree that you should raise the D-string saddle until the buzzing disappears and see how that works for you.
  13. yeh.. ill try, but i dont want the Action on the D string to be considerably higher then all the other strings you know
  14. you shouldnt have to adjust it too far. it shouldnt be much higher from the other strings if you do it right.
  15. It shouldn't be any/much higher than the other strings. If it has a radiused fretboard, the A and D saddles will appear higher. Raise the saddle ONLY AS MUCH AS NECESSARY to stop the buzz and no more!