buzz @ 9th fret caused by bad set up?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Jan 6, 2003.

1. cana buzz at one specific fret be caused by an improperly adjusted truss rod?
  2. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Not usually. It's probably the 9th is low, or the 10th is high, or a little of both. A good tech should be able to address the problem for not too much money.
    Good Luck
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Get yourself something fairly short with a very straight edge on it. ( I have a little metal 6" ruler that I use)

Place in the vacinity of the buzz. If it doesn't touch all the frets, you immediately see where there culprit is.

4. well i've tried beating it into submission per prk2's instructions... by tapping itin wiht a piece of wood over the fret with a hammer.... didnt work.
    but right now it seems to be fairly gone so... *shrugs*
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    To answer your original question: Yes, but No.

A particular relief setting can cause buzz on just one fret, but there really isn't a "proper" trussrod setting. You simply adjust the rod to compensate for all the other factors that go into action. Fret work, string tension, natural stability of the neck, etc.

If I were guessing, I would say that your bass probably has a high fret, so your options are to raise only the saddle or to try to give the neck a bit more relief to correct the buzz.

Raising the saddle is certainly the easiest, but you may be able to work out the buzz with a touch of additional neck relief (I'd say no more than 1/8 of a turn looser) If it works, it will have less impact on the action of the bass higher up the neck than simply raising the saddle.

The problem is that the ninth fret is sort of in that no-man's land. If it were down low or up really high, I'd say it was certainly the truss. But in the middle, unless you have a weak hump in the neck, it is probably better to just have the fret leveled.

Take it a shop. If the buss is slight, your friendly local merchant might even fix it while you wait for a minimal fee.